Dear Devs; May we please get working terraforming tools?

Tordan

Pretty please?

I would settle for a ground smooth tool that actually smooths rather then create spikes and black triangles. I have gotten pretty good at digging holes, placing a blob back and resmoothing over and over again until I get a reasonable result, but it is painfully cumbersome. and we are now a year into release.

I'm pretty sure that we are way overdue for a few long awaited quality of life fixes.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.4d9ebdd279ca2e4203ff99d1926572c0.png

The terrain smooth tool can be pretty frustrating to use.  Rather than smoothing voxels it seems to tighten them up into knots that just get spikier and spikier until you eventually have to delete it all and start over.

It would also be really nice if we had the ability to shrink the add/remove terrain voxel tool down to a smaller size.  Trying to fix minor flaws would be much easier if we could add or remove a single voxel of terrain at a time.  It can be really frustrating when all you want to do is remove a little spike coming off a wall, and your only option is to leave it there or delete a massive sphere-shaped hole in the wall trying to fix it.  Allowing us to edit terrain voxels with the VPT would also be incredibly useful.

Another tool that would be really helpful would be a Terrian Healing tool.  Once you edit the surface terrain it never renders the same from a distance.  It would be great if there was a way to revert changes, so when you make a mistake there's a way to fix it.

Also, it would be so awesome if we had access to all (or some) of the natural decorative elements already in the game, like trees and rocks.

A simple solution would be to just add and remove square boxes of dirt (like landmark did). This would be a win-win since it would be very useful for players, and also make it easier for the servers to handle with simpler voxel shape updates. And then you would just use the smooth tool afterwards, if you don't want sharp edges.

being able to use cut / paste / and the vertex tool on ground voxels would be awesome too! although, I'm pretty sure they don't want us all building sand castles.

On 7/30/2023 at 4:22 AM, Tordan said:

Pretty please?

I would settle for a ground smooth tool that actually smooths rather then create spikes and black triangles. I have gotten pretty good at digging holes, placing a blob back and resmoothing over and over again until I get a reasonable result, but it is painfully cumbersome. and we are now a year into release.

I'm pretty sure that we are way overdue for a few long awaited quality of life fixes.

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.4d9ebdd279ca2e4203ff99d1926572c0.png

I agree 100%. however to get rid of those spikes and triangles, use flatten tool to dig and then smooth over the flattened ground. if you need to dig out a big area, then use flatten tool. i have a tutorial somewhere, you start from top of the area with flatten tool and work your way down, it goes much faster and it doesn't leave those spikes or triangles and you don't get "internal server error" either.

but i'm SO FRUSTRATED with the ground bugs that i have on my tile, wanna see?  i spent days, probably weeks on digging and flattening my ground .. just to find out it's broken!

if you wanna test this yourself, take M or L core ship and come land near my base on that flattened area .. see for yourself what happens. with xs there's no issue and most S cores works fine aswell, but with m and L core things go very wrong:

You got some stray leftover voxels from when you dug out the land. Best way (that I know) to find those tiny almost invisible voxel artifacts is to make a dynamic construct with a voxel wall in it, and swipe it across the area using the move tool until it get snagged on one of the artifact. This way with some trial and error you can figure out where the artifact is and hopefully be able to get a lock so that you can delete it.

And yes, this is just one of many such things that NQ should have fixed a long time ago, instead of frustrating players and forcing them to come up with all sorts of workarounds just to make the game playable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 6:20 AM, Sethioz said:

use flatten tool to dig and then smooth over the flattened ground

indeed, but trying to smooth out a 45 degree slope on the other hand is a nightmare.