Scanning again - let's simplify it.

Midacre

Scanning at this stage of the game, most players will have container augmentation talents at 5, and have had plenty of time to accumulate scanners and cores, so players can now easily scan with multiple cores and scanners. I'm using 7 small cores and 21 scanners, to scan a super-flower at once. Actually, by the time I have started scanners on the 7th core, the scanners on the 1st are ready to be read. So I can keep busy while 15 minute counters go to zero, but so is the server. 

What if there were a new element for scanning which could scan the whole super-flower at once, with just one element? I could scan in a radius, with a max range dictated by talents, returning results for all tiles within its range. Obviously, the longer the range, the longer for scan results to return. It should be possible for a player with the current scanners - or a smaller radius setting - to ninja someone using the system I'm proposing here. So there is a risk using a larger diameter scanning area. You wouldn't get any results until you finished the scan. The scan time versus diameter could be adjusted to give results in about the same amount of time players can achieve now with multiple cores and scanners. 

Edited by Midacre

On 6/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, Midacre said:

Scanning at this stage of the game, most players will have container augmentation talents at 5, and have had plenty of time to accumulate scanners and cores, so players can now easily scan with multiple cores and scanners. I'm using 7 small cores and 21 scanners, to scan a super-flower at once. Actually, by the time I have started scanners on the 7th core, the scanners on the 1st are ready to be read. So I can keep busy while 15 minute counters go to zero, but so is the server. 

What if there were a new element for scanning which could scan the whole super-flower at once, with just one element? I could scan in a radius, with a max range dictated by talents, returning results for all tiles within its range. Obviously, the longer the range, the longer for scan results to return. It should be possible for a player with the current scanners - or a smaller radius setting - to ninja someone using the system I'm proposing here. So there is a risk using a larger diameter scanning area. You wouldn't get any results until you finished the scan. The scan time versus diameter could be adjusted to give results in about the same amount of time players can achieve now with multiple cores and scanners. 

Would that not mean the people would just grab the resource forever quicker?  At least there is a time factor now?

So when I have the same number of scanners as you mentioned, I'm back to one of seven setups with around 85 percent remaining so I will either fold laundry or pick rocks or do even more scanning.

Step up your scanning game, go for 30-120 scanners if you've got a friend to help, in a line skipping every other, only falling back to a flower, when your in a hot area.

The scanning should be done in a few days at most, so why would I want to waste talents.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry but just a NO.

For a start its a massive presumption to say "most players will have container augmentation talents at 5"

The system you are proposing would just give the top end of players with money and talents an even more bigger advantage over a new player with nothing but 1 scanner.

When they release new planets, its supposed to be as fair as possible for Everyone. for everyone to find something.

The fact you are cheesing the current system with lots of scanners (its ok i guess to do that) is already a big advantage. BUT new players need a chance as well to get some tiles.

I would take it the other way and just limit how many Scanners a player can activate at once say down to 3 max

just to slow down the process of scanning a whole planet. (but even then big orgs will just throw more people at it)

Planets are already scanned to quickly as it is. Once a tile is found, its claimed and locked away forever with that ore.

On a different thought, its been mentioned before that ore should move like it did in SWG,

Call it "shiftiing sands" or something or "Ore seasons" after a period of time (a year perhaps) ore re-distributes itself over the planet.

and then its back to scanning again.