[Suggestion] DU Needs Food

Oblivionburn

• 3 weeks later...

As strange as it may sound, immortality makes this game lifeless.  There is not enough survival mode. Production and storage of products. Oxygen is used both for growing food and for breathing. Refueling the power suit. An external environment that can kill. Game bots. Even decorative items could be useful. For example, storage cabinets.  Portable flowerbeds for growing a small amount of food on the ship. It is beautiful for interior decoration and practical. And many more similar little things would give the game life.

As strange as it may sound, immortality makes this game lifeless.  There is not enough survival mode. Production and storage of products. Oxygen is used both for growing food and for breathing. Refueling the power suit. An external environment that can kill. Game bots. Even decorative items could be useful. For example, storage cabinets.  Portable flowerbeds for growing a small amount of food on the ship. It is beautiful for interior decoration and practical. And many more similar little things would give the game life.

While this is one of those things that make sense being implemented sooner rather than later, my greatest fear is that it’d end up just one more hoop to jump through before you actually play the game. There’s already enough tedium in the game, and so far everything is already kind of a chore.

It’s not an unreasonable want, but I don’t know if I’d call it a need. Before you even get to a hunger mechanic, how about avatar HP, armor/defense stats, personal defense shields, and weapons. That’s a whole industry waiting to happen. Then, some combat and support skills you can train and drop into your hotbar. I want to be a space marine! Afterwards, weapons could be given a separate effectiveness and range in atmosphere, so we aren’t nuking shit from the next moon over. You know, stuff that goes in direction of AvA;  a long promise forgotten. 

Anyway, there’s so much content the game needs. I just hope they add things that resemble game play, and not more units (water extractor/irrigators/harvesters/etc) to micro manage.

To imagine how food (Survival style) would work in DU, i think you can just take the schematic system and replace the word "schematics" with "food" and there you go.

Open the window, select the thing, queue it up and wait for it.  When it's done you put it in the place that it needs to go.  Or you can't do the thing that you want to do.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

The game already has TONS of survival mechanics, they just aren't human survival mechanics.

Industry has to be fed schematics or they won't run.  Your ship needs fuel, or it won't fly, it needs to be repaired or elements will stop functioning.  Territories need to be fed taxes or you can't mine on them.  Mining units have to be fed calibrations or they won't mine ore.

I don't see the difference.

We already have farming in the form of territory mining too.  It's a system that you set up and then maintain and eventually it produces a thing that you need.