VoIP implementation

blazemonger

How about VoIP  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see VoIP implemented

• Yes, please!
    • I can see it would be beneficial for the game, just as long as I can choose to not have to use it.
    • No, I do not see how this would benefit the game at all.
    • Don't care.

For a number of reasons, RP opportunity for one, it would be really good for DU to have VoIP available. Based on the current state of development it should not take much to implement a 3rd party solution quickly and fairly easily.

VoIP should always be optional. While many would like to use it and it will certainly attract players from the RP communities (where many are _really_ looking for a good SciFi themed RP opportunity). Here is how I could see this option implemented:

• In settings, by default VoIP is inactive, it should be an opt-in feature.
  • The VoIP solution would easily slot into the current way chat is working. players will have local, construct or private channel access, depending on whether they have enable VoIP.
  • Right clicking a player would show a "muted" icon next to the talk option indicating this player has VoIP disabled and will not be able to hear you if you start a conversation so chat needs to be used.

An obvious option here would be Vivox which is both well known, inexpensive and easy to implement.

This would be a very welcome addition to the game, attract new players and generally improve QoL for many players. It  would be good to learn how NQ feels about this without simply referring to the upvote page as this is more about expanding the potential userbase and not cater to existing players (even when many will welcome it).

Elite: Dangerous does an excellent job of in-game voice. It essentially acts as a hail, the recipient having the option to answer, ignore, or simply reject the call.

An addition like this would allow for me to actually pirate a player and make demands, and not just kill them to take the loot they might be carrying.

VOIP is a damn good idea imo.  Obviously optional, even off as default.  But I so many times ive ran around a market and seen people, and would like to say hi, but most dont even have local chat up.  But beyond that, you can get so much more from a short interaction with someone thru voice then you can text.  Even people I have known a long time we will talk thru discord, but then sometimes they will be just like "get in voice".  So +1 for a future implementation.