Jump to content
Manduin

Questions About Stars

Recommended Posts

In this thread, I am going to ask a few questions about how the stars present in all star systems around the game work.

My main question is:

 

- Are the stars solid objects in the game that can be flown up to or flown past, or are they just part of the skybox?

     - And as an extension, would they begin to do damage if you get too close to them?

 

The following questions are only valid to ask if the answer to the first question is yes, but here they are anyway:

 

- Do planets orbit around the star, and would anything closer to the star orbit at a faster rate than things far away?

 

- Do the stars emit some sort of energy value, and if yes, would it be plausible to construct a Dyson sphere or Dyson swarm around it?

 

- Will stars in different parts of their lifetime (e.g. White Dwarves, Red Giants) be present across the universe, and will a star be able to convert from one stage to another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are some NDA issues with answering these questions.....

 

However NQ has said that the worlds dont orbit the sun. (Performance and bug inducing issues are the reasons for these decisions)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Manduin said:

Are the stars solid objects in the game that can be flown up to or flown past, or are they just part of the skybox?

     - And as an extension, would they begin to do damage if you get too close to them?

At first it's just in the skybox, later they want to have a real Star in the middle to fly to and past 

 

14 hours ago, Manduin said:

Do planets orbit around the star, and would anything closer to the star orbit at a faster rate than things far away?

 

- Do the stars emit some sort of energy value, and if yes, would it be plausible to construct a Dyson sphere or Dyson swarm around it?

 

- Will stars in different parts of their lifetime (e.g. White Dwarves, Red Giants) be present across the universe, and will a star be able to convert from one stage to another.

No orbiting planets (lot of calculations when space stations are in orbit of That Planet, constanlty check if the planet moves through a player construct). But planets  DO rotate 

 

In the ingame ama jc said that electricity and Solar Panels will play a role

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/02/08/in-game-ama-feb-3rd-2018-transcription/

 

Unknown yet, most definitely not at realeas, but likely later imho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 4:10 AM, Lethys said:

At first it's just in the skybox, later they want to have a real Star in the middle to fly to and past 

 

No orbiting planets (lot of calculations when space stations are in orbit of That Planet, constanlty check if the planet moves through a player construct). But planets  DO rotate 

 

In the ingame ama jc said that electricity and Solar Panels will play a role

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/02/08/in-game-ama-feb-3rd-2018-transcription/

 

Unknown yet, most definitely not at realeas, but likely later imho 

This is quite a bit of a necro, but-

I don't think orbiting structures would require enough calculation to consume processing power. I'm new to DU so haven't gotten a chance to experience orbiting but if the structure is already locked to orbit around a body then all you would really need is to add the bodies transition vector to the structures vector. I feel like it would be very simple to apply if the bodies are on "rails" like in KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×