Poll : G forces, should they have an effect on a ship's pilot/crew?

Anaximander

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like G forces to have an effect on a ship's pilot/crew, depending on the maneuverability/acceleration of the ship?

• Yes
    • No

The point is, if there's "magical inertial forces removal" in the game, ships' mass plays no real part in the crew it has and/or how maneuverable it may be.

Take a battleship's hull and armor, add a lot ot engines, you got a battleship-sized starfighter. Problem? Yes. If I wanted fantasy, I would have asked for playable races as well, like orcs and elves.

And nobody even suggested redding out like it's some Star Citizen, World War 2 in space logic. We're talking for subtle things, like the crew experiencing a hinderance in movement speed and pilots getiing stunned if they pulled a very sudden turn.

Except if you want a 10 kilometers ship doing flips like it's a ballerina. Cause Cthulu knows that's no ridiculous. If a dreanaught can do a flip like it's a trained dolphin and can absorb the inertial strain exerted upon it, I don't believe there are many a weapon that shoud be able to damage it, safe from some black hole emitter weapon out of Star Wars' "science".

Good navigators for large ships? Nah, who needs them, everyone can do pitch perfect turns. In fact, every turn is pitch perfect.

What? 300 megatons accumulated mass on a ship as it goes 0.5 Light? Wut R diz physix stoff? Ninety degriz turn, no problem. Crew nut ded, lyke in rial phyzix.

Again, no G forces, no real reason for fine tuning in Lua scripts.

well, we are in sci-fi and would still like to be able to make maneuverable destroyers, that handle like a fighter, but the tech and modules required would be super expensive. Look at the USS enterprise D, it is massive, and still has quite a lot of maneuverability, but is filled to the neck with caviar-level luxury.

well, we are in sci-fi and would still like to be able to make maneuverable destroyers, that handle like a fighter, but the tech and modules required would be super expensive. Look at the USS enterprise D, it is massive, and still has quite a lot of maneuverability, but is filled to the neck with caviar-level luxury.

Not wanting to sound like a Trekkie hater, but Star Trek lost its connection to actual science after TNG launched. :P

Star Trek also has an "unpredictability predicting compensator" aka Heisenberg Compensator. Boy, why does the Federation even have starships ? :P

I have no issue of a material existing that can be utilised to absorb G forces on a ship, in fact, it would be a good reason for a ship's price to be very high. Even water can act as G-Forces' cushion, I have no problem with the building process involving such a mechanism to make a ship maneuverable. Just don't make G-Forces absent altogether.

Not wanting to sound like a Trekkie hater, but Star Trek lost its connection to actual science after TNG launched. :P

Star Trek also has an "unpredictability predicting compensator" aka Heisenberg Compensator. Boy, why does the Federation even have starships ? :P

I have no issue of a material existing that can be utilised to absorb G forces on a ship, in fact, it would be a good reason for a ship's price to be very high. Even water can act as G-Forces' cushion, I have no problem with the building process involving such a mechanism to make a ship maneuverable. Just don't make G-Forces absent altogether.

i completely agree. for the star trek part isn't DU about sci-fi?

i completely agree. for the star trek part isn't DU about sci-fi?

Well, Sci-fi, and no-sequitorial sci-fi, are worlds apart.

Sci-fi in DUAL is about using science and nanotechnology to rebuild society. Star Trek is about... I don't know... how much can a StarFleet captain can violate the Prime Directive without being caught :P

Star Trek also has ships that, within less of a timeframe of this game's backstory, are able to reach speeds thousands of multiples of c. It also has a limit (8000c) where if you travel that fast, you're somehow everywhere in the universe and it takes no time to get anywhere. Also whenever the various Enterprises get hit with photon torpedoes the bridges shake.

Trek has some ridiculous concepts of its own, at least.

Enormous battleships shouldn't ever be able to fly like fighters. If they could, the fighters would probably be zipping around them even faster.

Star Trek also has ships that, within less of a timeframe of this game's backstory, are able to reach speeds thousands of multiples of c. It also has a limit (8000c) where if you travel that fast, you're somehow everywhere in the universe and it takes no time to get anywhere. Also whenever the various Enterprises get hit with photon torpedoes the bridges shake.

Enormous battleships shouldn't ever be able to fly like fighters. If they could, the fighters would probably be zipping around them even faster.

While Judas Priest's Painkiller plays on the background : "Faster than a laser bullet". :P

my point is it is possible to absorb inertia inside a construct by accelerating the whole construct and its content uniformly, and that is not impossible. (just need to find out how). the star treks ships don't accelerate to multiple of c, they warp the space, effectively it does, but relatively for its content it doesn't. additionally the mass of the vehicle doesn't have an impact on the G-forces of the object inside it, its speed does, thus allowing in theory to have a big ship as agile as a fighter, but would have to expense a ton of energy (cube to the scale of a small fighter) to do so.

this would require making very efficient designs and having resistant enough materials to do so.

sci fi has a minimum basis in reality, even star trek, and you cannot blame cineasts to make benine consoles explode like they were unstable explosives, or make the bridge shake every time a dust spec collides with the most bottom part of the ship. (it may be explained by their inertia dampeners malfunctioning tho... buy why did they never fix em in 300 years?)

The point is, if there's "magical inertial forces removal" in the game, ships' mass plays no real part in the crew it has and/or how maneuverable it may be.

that depends on how exactly it works.

it could as well be a device that spreads any force imparted on the whole system over the whole volume/mass of the ship.

internally everything appears as if it were acceleration caused by a homogenous gravity field (aka no force gradients which generate stresses) but any impulse that enters or leaves the system has the approbiate effect on the whole ship.

conserving the effective mass of the whole system with assorted thruster needs.

Take a battleship's hull and armor, add a lot ot engines, you got a battleship-sized starfighter. Problem? Yes. If I wanted fantasy, I would have asked for playable races as well, like orcs and elves.

And nobody even suggested redding out like it's some Star Citizen, World War 2 in space logic. We're talking for subtle things, like the crew experiencing a hinderance in movement speed and pilots getiing stunned if they pulled a very sudden turn.

Except if you want a 10 kilometers ship doing flips like it's a ballerina. Cause Cthulu knows that's not ridiculous. If a dreanaught can do a flip like it's a trained dolphin and can absorb the inertial strain exerted upon it, I don't believe there are many a weapon that should be able to damage it, safe from some black hole emitter weapon out of Star Wars' "science".

Good navigators for large ships? Nah, who needs them, everyone can do pitch perfect turns. In fact, every turn is pitch perfect.

What? 300 megatons accumulated mass on a ship as it goes 0.5 Light? Wut R diz physix stoff? Ninety degriz turn, no problem. Crew nut ded, lyke in rial phyzix.

Again, no G forces, no real reason for fine tuning in Lua scripts.

Blacking out / redding out and a pilot being stunned for taking a turn too hard are the same thing.

Inertia is something different.  Not having the crew be effected by turns and accelerating up to cruising speed does not mean that massive ships suddenly behave like fighter craft. 

I think you are conflating 2 things or attributing to one thing more than you should.