Useful Farming

FireSoul

Hello there (General Kenobi)!

I was recently thinking about farming and the social and commercial impact of it. Of course farming is complicated to implement especially in a game like DU but I was thinking about a method that could actually work. 

I thought about a farming tower/machine in which plants grow and produce a fix yield. This machine would require soil, for example forest soil  which could affect the yield/growth rate of the plants and thus give them a multiplier depending which crop grows the best on each soil. Of course plants need water which would be given through pipes and light which would require electricity. To cultivate a crop you will need seeds which could be found in the wilderness and thus be classified for example as very rare, rare, common, etc. . If the machine is provided with all the requirements at first it would produce no yield, after some time passed the yield could increase every day which would lead to max yield after a certain time depending on the rareness of the crop.

Of course farming is nothing without animal products. Due to the fact that animals would hardly be implemented in DU another machine could come in handy which I would call the "Synthesizer". 

This machine produces animal products such as eggs, milk or meat artificially. The machine would use water and of course nutrients which get provided by the farming machine to produce the already listed food.

Of course this isn´t something most of the people understand about farming but even today farming towers are a real thing as like as the production of meat without an animal involved. 

I know there are already some suggestions about farming and IF NQ decides to implement that feature I think this Idea would be the best way to do it.

What do you think about this Idea?

Not a bad idea but neither a good one. Still is it function auto ? Because in DU we wont have much auto allow for massive produce.

Also we dont need "machine produce animal products" as the Dev have say in future in "Survival" Expansion they will add more way to farming (animal and plant ) to create food and some other product. There maybe some on release but not all.

Also i think the idea should be edit a little. Food create by farming (NQ way , or farming on land way ) will maybe got bonus to stats or just dont have any penalty. Food create by machine will give us no bonus but with penalty as it can create everywhere ( in emergency situation where you cant get food  supply). Also it will cost more energy and resource than normal food.

No need to "synthesize" animals, lol, DU will have a "a few animals" at launch (as stated in the KS feature list). NQ have also mentioned that there may be some "survival" features added after launch, but it's uncertain exactly what that will entail.

DU's game world has no shortage of land, so farming and forestry could fit in quite easily.

forestry is a hard thing to implement, remember that the planets are generated procedurally, that means every tree has a fixed position. If you let people plant trees you would have to send the location of potentially thousands of trees to every player in the vincinity of the planet.

Farming has been brought up before, it is a common and popular mechanic in gaming. It is not planned for DU release but anything is possible with future expansions. I like the idea of it, of course NQ would have to figure out a way to do it that fits within their technical limitations. Farming could also be used to create commodities for crafting advanced or specialty things.

Well animal keeping probably won´t be implemented for several reasons. That´s why I thought a synthetizer would eliminate the problem right away. 

As for the farming machine I thought that soil must be added after some time so that it can function properly. Otherwise the yield would drop drastically. That would prevent automatization. Additionally the machines should be more or less expensive to prevent that everyone can build them right away.

They are thought to be some mid to end game stuff so ppl have to get food from animals and wild plants first. 

Maybe the farming machine could be upgradable so the standard one would be great for the early game and after upgraded provide more yield. 

I really like this idea, fits in with the game mechanics well. I know growing plants in open land, or players putting down plants would be hard on the server. But having a sort of "Hydroponic" Element, that grows/produces plants might actually be doable.

Not sold on the idea of growing animals and/or animal by products like meat and stuff.

Even if that machine just produced plant Elements that players could later place down, like the decorative plant elements currently in game, would be cool. I considered the idea of harvesting plants, and using the bio-polymers to create newer/different materials that could be used in construction. It would be a cool functional reason for farming, and you're idea would fit right in with that concept.

17 hours ago, vylqun said:

forestry is a hard thing to implement, remember that the planets are generated procedurally, that means every tree has a fixed position. If you let people plant trees you would have to send the location of potentially thousands of trees to every player in the vincinity of the planet.

Why not create large "elements" representing a patch of plantation or cropland ? Using pre-rendered blocks will be much easier on the server load than individual trees or corn stalks.

There are many ways of solving the problem other than manually planting individual trees randomly in the world.

JC has already said that reforesting the existing trees (once they're removed) will be "difficult" to do, but we need some creative solutions then, otherwise the settled planets are going to be devoid of vegetation after a few years. Players will cut down trees, because they can...

reforesting the cut down trees should actually be doable without to many issues, and i would definitely support that, everything else needs, as you said, creative solutions.