How much physical damage can someone do in war or a raid

KingofPR

When i say physical damage i mean like bombarding the planet and leaving holes in it, thats what i mean by physical damage or will the damage not be physical and only damage the player and entities.sorry if you didnt understand english isnt my main language.

There have been several threads regarding things like this before, examples here and here. The latter with a response from Nova.

I was trying to dig up the thread where they discussed lasting damage. I can't remember how long ago that was though - so I can't find it. But it was something along the lines of if its damaged, it stays that way. 

*Edit: I was trying to dig the forum posts up. That's why I posted again, sorry. 

I'm for this - means that you can eventually see scarred landscapes like in MC or similar games.

It also means that if you want to use some area or larger section (or planet), you eventually have to clean up or restore the area to some extend, if the damage is too large and visible long-term.

As much as I would love this to be a lasting thing, I believe it all comes down to how well the separate server shards hand that sort of data.

It would be grand to come to a planetary battlefield and see that there is not much left and that if you wanted to claim the territory you would have to take into account the amount of destruction that you would have to repair to make things feasible again. It will make it extremely hard on people who have to plan these things out! Which is awesome :P 

This makes sense to a degree. From what I understand, there will be no 'healing' of terrain so the damage will be permanent anyway, but the Earth does heal over time. I know this takes hundreds if not thousands of years but growth and dust form new layers of Earth over craters, man made structures, fallen fauna and flora etc.

I would like to see the land "heal" personally over a period of maybe 2 months or so or allow us to paint in grass and dirt the players could fix ugly battelfields. We'll just have to wait and see.

"If large scale terra-forming is going to be a possibility, it makes things quite dangerous and reckless, don't you think? Instead of fighting defences and conquering your planet, all I have to do is simply destroy it from afar or when you are offline. The question is not how long it would take, the question is should it be even possible?"

This makes sense to a degree. From what I understand, there will be no 'healing' of terrain so the damage will be permanent anyway, but the Earth does heal over time. I know this takes hundreds if not thousands of years but growth and dust form new layers of Earth over craters, man made structures, fallen fauna and flora etc.

I would like to see the land "heal" personally over a period of maybe 2 months or so or allow us to paint in grass and dirt the players could fix ugly battelfields. We'll just have to wait and see.

This issue with having no natural heal but re-terraforming of a planet means you have to get that grass, dirt, etc from somewhere. You'll end up dumping a huge layer to flatten and make areas viable to live on again. Which means you have to gather the materials from either on planet and strip mine it from somewhere or pull it from another lesser known and used planet, however, this could work if you have a home planet and a place you mine from where you get excess(?) materials. You could use them to terraform again. 

I would like to see it reform naturally, that would be nice. 

"If large scale terra-forming is going to be a possibility, it makes things quite dangerous and reckless, don't you think? Instead of fighting defences and conquering your planet, all I have to do is simply destroy it from afar or when you are offline. The question is not how long it would take, the question is should it be even possible?"

I would think that, due to the territory management, there would be some form of restriction in this field. Though that is a concern. We were having a discussion awhile ago about the possibility of war and damage timers, etc. So that could also run within your territory all the way to the core/lowest mining point. Therefore protecting your territory. 

But as Kiklix said, it's a matter of wait and see.

"Persistent, continuous single-shard MMO landscape". 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny how this contradicts some of the terraforming thread comments. lol. If you can bombard a living would into a lifeless ruin then, in theory, you could create a terraformable fallow world or biome. One with equivalent 'damage' or the mars look but could be bombarded with seeds and technology to grow a green world. I.e. A biome with plants and grass allowed but not there at the start. 

Funny how this contradicts some of the terraforming thread comments. lol. If you can bombard a living would into a lifeless ruin then, in theory, you could create a terraformable fallow world or biome. One with equivalent 'damage' or the mars look but could be bombarded with seeds and technology to grow a green world. I.e. A biome with plants and grass allowed but not there at the start. 

Well, altering the terrain of anything, does not constitute Terraforming in my book. Sure, you can take a mass-driver and punch holes all around a planet, that won't make the planet a cheesewheel either :P

Although, the arguement could be made to use a weapon like a mass-driver to punch a hole to build a bunker in it.