Kickstarter - Update Ideas

Ripper

Hey Everyone,

We need some fresh pledges in the Kickstarter. 

My thought is, there are surely areas that NQ hasn't addressed in their videos and updates that certainly interest different types of gamers. 

What would YOU like to see NQ comment on?  (You know.  Things that will bring in more gamers.)

I'd like to know more about LUA scripting. 

I'd like to know how sensors are planned. 

I'd like to know a current list of mesh elements, their functions, and data that's returned.

Hey,

Good idea.

LUA scripting is for sure one of the most interesting point.

What do you mean by 'mesh elements'?

Could you make a poll with your 3 ideas and an 'other' option? Thanks.

I would love to see a "get to know X mechanic" showcase. This would be a series of updates showing what visual elements they can show us on a particular mechanic, explain how it currently works (if it does), explain what their vision is for that mechanic moving forward, and what variations we can expect within that mechanic.

For example, a "Get to know Materials" episode would show some images of the building materials they have set up so far, what they look like, how a player might aquire them in the game, and what kinds of other materials players may be able to mine in the future. What their vision is for processing mined materials, etc.

They could do a similar showcase for weapons, thrusters, power supply, terrian, etc.

I'd like to know a current list of mesh elements, their functions, and data that's returned.

Elements currently seem to be all for show with little actual functionality yet.

But I do agree, I'd love to see a dev vlog about what they have planned here. They already have some element concept art floating around, surely they must have a pretty good idea at this point of what is planned for release (and beyond?). I'd also like to see how / if you need to connect these elements together, some feature a visible pair of connectors. Are these for two different types of resource being transferred, or do they represent some kind of planned i/o system? http://www.dualthegame.com/marmoset/Container-Liquid.mview

They mentioned blue prints and a factory being able to creat the item from the blue print. I would love to know more about how this is implemented. I hope the factory is an actual building or station and not just a mechanic as in empyrium galactic survival. I would like to treat the creation of a ship as the goal at the end of the quest, you gather all the componants or raw materials required and at the end your new ship is ready for pick up

They mentioned blue prints and a factory being able to creat the item from the blue print. I would love to know more about how this is implemented. I hope the factory is an actual building or station and not just a mechanic as in empyrium galactic survival. I would like to treat the creation of a ship as the goal at the end of the quest, you gather all the componants or raw materials required and at the end your new ship is ready for pick up

Here's a piece of concept art of how they envision shipyards:

eee6b591a58a7d6026e9928892852499_origina

I think they need to cash in on the "epicness" factor. Detailing how individual game mechanics work is only interesting to a certain amount of players.

This means creating a cinematic of some sort. They have done it before with the E3 trailer, and more recently, the Kickstarter promotion. Perhaps a crew discovering a new planet, and sending a shuttle down to the surface with one of the soundtracks they've put out in the background. You have to be careful with these because they might inaccurately represent their current progress, but if done right they can generate a lot of hype. 

Edit: another idea that came to mind: build a new station (the one they have been showing off is starting to get overused) and have a cinematic of a pilot requesting docking access as they fly into the hangar. They need to emphasize the possibilities for emergent gameplay.

I think they need to cash in on the "epicness" factor. Detailing how individual game mechanics work is only interesting to a certain amount of players.

This means creating a cinematic of some sort. They have done it before with the E3 trailer, and more recently, the Kickstarter promotion. Perhaps a crew discovering a new planet, and sending a shuttle down to the surface with one of the soundtracks they've put out in the background. You have to be careful with these because they might inaccurately represent their current progress, but if done right they can generate a lot of hype. 

They should be able to show some kind of carrier approaching a planet, and then a bunch of smaller craft whizzing out and descending to the surface. That's the kind of stuff people love to see.

They curiously haven't shown any custom ship interiors yet, just that space station over and over again. 

Videos delivering on promises they have made in trailers and interviews that NQ has stated should be mostly implemented or finished.

-Building and actually flying a large ship- They have said the basic building of constructs is ready and we have seen large ships and large ships moving in nearly every video released but we have not actually seen it from a player point of view.

-Video showing multicrew on a ship- In nearly every interview they have talked about multicrew and how you can have a large ship with all your friends on it. Show this. Show what it looks like to be on a ship someone else is flying. Not sure if they have stated that status of multicrew but once again in many videos you see multiple players on large ships but the ships are not moving.

-Show how the server tech handles a large concentration of constructs. Once again the devs have said that most of the server tech is ready and they have showcased what that looks like with players but not constructs. Large space battles and high density of constructs have been promised in nearly every interview but they haven't really show it yet. I understand that the combat system isn't ready yet but at least show from a player perspective and a server perspective how a large concentration of constructs are handled.

I feel like the DU Dev team is at the top of a very slippery slope. They are starting to show a lot of things in trailers and say a lot of things in interviews are ready, or mostly ready, but not delivering on them in a real player perspective way. In a post no mans sky world if a dev says something in means very little. And if you say something and don't really show it people will doubt you. Show us or explain why you cant show us the big promises that you are making in interviews and the perception created by the more trailer style videos.

To show examples look at the kickstarter video:

@35 you can see many ships flying around in and it is lag free. implying large ship density is ready or partially ready

@~40 you show many people on the space station implying multicrew is in a semi ready state

@55 Many large ships flying around the space station and it is lag free

NQ has stated many times that server tech and ship building are two things that are mostly completed implying proof of concept style videos should be possible. By showing it in a trailer but not showing it in a first person, "heres what it looks like in game" kind of way it creates doubt in my mind and I'm sure a lot of others.