Physical Inventories and Shipping

this3ndup

Are you suggesting that everyone can set up secure storage compartments, which cant be cracked open or hacked, in arbitary locations?

Seems like you dont want shipping lines to be raidable at all, because when i can build secure containers everywhere, what keeps me from using them for shipping my goods and thus keeping them perfectly safe even in the most dangerous environments.

Perfect security should have very harsh restrictions as to where its possible and what you can do with it.

For example a normal, bog standard container would be a save storage in an arkified area.

enabling save storage of goods without being instantly a pita for pvp balance and design (at least no more than arkified areas are already)

Everyone should have some virtual secure storage so when they go Offline they aren't still vulnerable to attack.  No game will survive long if players can't be certain their stuff will still be there when the log back on in a day... a week... a month.

And yep I'm saying you can plop down a shop terminal anywhere.  Not exactly storage... in that everything in it would have to have a price and be for sale... though I guess you could set the prices absurdly high...

This wouldn't make shipping lines any less raidable.  Why it the world would you think that?  You have to physically transport the stuff in your unsecured ship until you can get it to the next secure location... your personal storage back at whatever you call home base... or another terminal to resell it. 

I might put a restriction that terminals can't be on ships... But I do want to see merchant Mall space stations... So I don't know how to make that work just yet.

Maybe if we use the territory control system... so It has to be in a territory you have the correct rights to... to be able to place a shop... Is that system robust enough to handle someone making a large space station and then sub dividing it and leasing space to other players?  

WCornflakes

Perhaps the "safe" will be only placeable in your house. Or at least, make picking house locks impossible, or if you pick locks, making you go red-name like you commited PK. Who knows, we'll have to wait.

Well, maybe a "Bank building" sort of construct. Something that a player can make if they put too much effort to it and it can act as an investment for sorts. (Until the in-game banks start investing with imaginary capital and we have World War Dual to look forward to). I mean, the only way I see it going towards is a locked door and a lockpick mechanism, or having in game players act as patrol duty. Both have merits, but one has the "emergent gameplay" aspect. I for example, will build a frigging underground labyrinth leading to my safe, with laser turrets on every turn. If they are going to rob me, they will have to go through a raid dungeon first.

You can't make Market Units invulnerable for the reasons stated here and many more.

I think the best option is to have an invulnerability timer when a Market Unit is reduced in health by a certain amount, similar to the system they have mentioned will likely be used for Territory Units (similar to Eve's system). Everyone who has buy/sell orders on the unit and is within x radius gets an in-game notification. They can then either go and get their stuff, write it off, or help defend it. In this way heavily used market units may become very difficult to destroy.

Well, they could make it act like the post office then. Kept in store until you go get that package.

If you're talking about the mechanics of buying something from a distance, I'd say there could maybe be a brief grace period where the item is still held in the Market Unit, say 1-12 hours or something, then it's moved to a holding area that doesn't have the same protective features of the Market Unit. That's assuming Market Units have invulnerability timers as I described above.

• 1 month later...

"When you’ll buy a good on a market 1.000km away from where you stand, it will show up in a local inventory physically attached to that particular market container. So, you have to factor in the cost (in time) to get there and collect your good."

This is the EVE model. Which I like. I don't think that something should magically move from one location to another, although an automated system of movement from one location to another over a time reflective of the distance would be certainly acceptable. Or, there is the establishment of trade routes where a player will pick up cargo designated for another location and transport it for a fee.