Helping A Newbie Out

Fearshadow

E3 2016 was the first time I had experienced any media in relation to Dual Universe, and to say the least, I was highly intrigued. I've done some casual lurking on the forums for a couple days, and also checked out the dev blog, but it still seems that a lot of stuff is being discussed that I don't really have a clue about. In the past, I contemplated joining Eve Online, but was reluctant due to the seemingly infinite amount of information about or in the game. I attempted to shorten the distance that I felt separated me and the game by watching videos of battles and reading about Eve's "current events" but to no avail. Thus, after seeing this similar idea of a player driven economy and universe, I was very excited to partake in this adventure. As a person relatively inexperienced with MMORPGs (and any of that experience being in games like The Elder Scrolls: Online), it would be great if anyone could provide any things to read or suggestions to have in mind, as well as anything that anyone thinks may aid me or any other newcomers to this area in this coming year as we prepare (hopefully) for a closed alpha for us all to enjoy. Thanks everybody, even if you don't have any input and just stuck around to hear what I have to say, I greatly appreciate it. 

<3

Go through and read all the Dev Blog's.  Those will give you a good background on what Dual is expected to be.  Keep in mind that we are still in very pre-Alpha, so take everything with a grain of salt, your mileage may very, if you start to experience loss of hearing or vision--then stop taking Vi.....  um.....nevermind.

Dev Blogs are you best shot right now.  If you have questions, things you think would be cool, things you think would not be cool (you get the idea), ask :)   This is right at the very beginning so if you hope to have any type of impact on the development of the game, your timing is good  :)

Devblogs and devblogs :D I've been having a read myself and it is a wealth of information on how this game is conceptualized. To be honest there isn't really an MMO like this one out there from what I've read in the blogs (EvE is the closed inspiration in the words of the Devs). They are definitely the best call at this point :)

E3 2016 was the first time I had experienced any media in relation to Dual Universe, and to say the least, I was highly intrigued. I've done some casual lurking on the forums for a couple days, and also checked out the dev blog, but it still seems that a lot of stuff is being discussed that I don't really have a clue about. In the past, I contemplated joining Eve Online, but was reluctant due to the seemingly infinite amount of information about or in the game.

EvE Online has been there for more then 12,5 years now. Nearly every year they have offered two expansions to their game. It is huge and not astounding a new player is confused. Go to some media you like, enlist in a corp(guild) of newbiefriendly mates and just try to find out, if MMOs are something you like. MMOs are not just games. They are a very special type of games not everyone finds enjoyable. Dual Universe will not release in 2016 and most certainly not in 2017. You have plenty of time to find out, if you are able to enjoy games like this.

as we prepare (hopefully) for a closed alpha for us all to enjoy. Thanks everybody, even if you don't have any input and just stuck around to hear what I have to say, I greatly appreciate it.

You don't know gaming software development? An alpha is nearly always closed, just because it makes no sense to open it to the public. It is raw, lacking lots of enjoyable elements. Alpha is something like a world to run around in, but with near to nothing to interact with. Or you are able to hit something with a sword or blaster but nothing will happen afterwards because you just test collisions or you got stuck and have no functioning chat to get some dev help. MMO alphas are in no way something to look for as a MMO newbie. No offense intended.

You know ESO? So you have bought it and are able to play? Go, find some mates and get a feeling for MMOs. There are lots of guilds recruiting in the official forum. Ist a great game with nearly endless options how you want to play. It is a good path to get a feeling for MMOs. :)

You don't know gaming software development? An alpha is nearly always closed, just because it makes no sense to open it to the public.

You misunderstood me, I meant that I hope everything goes well and according to plan (or not according to plan, if they change their minds) so that we have an alpha at the time that they hope to release it <3. I wouldn't say I have developed anything myself but that I am... familiar with the process of creating a game. Honestly, I would play a text based version of some of the role playing elements I have seen the devs mention in some of their posts :D

The closest thing to Dual Universe is actually Second Life. It isn't a space based game, but you can build things based on simple shape tools and script them with Lua to do anything you want. But objects have no resource costs, so if you own it you can build it.

Mind you, there's no real "game" to SL. You can't die and it is a free for all that quickly became a cesspool of human corruption. I am hoping that Dual doesn't get to that point. It had hope because of the space aspect and the building limitations being imposed by the devs.