Modular Weapon Type?

robofan16

I was just thinking it would be amazing if there was even just one type of weapon that's as powerful as the size to which you build it.

It would make a great anti-capital defense for major settlements, so big factions might be forced into a ground assault.  :blink:

I'm sure I saw a topic about this somewhere, but I'm unsure and am not holding onto the links like some. 

Anyway, the ability to custom build defensive weapons, or even offensive weapons for settlements/space stations/capital vessels would be a great thing, as it can allow for great versatility within a single weapon system. Though, the size being put into effect, maybe it starts on x 'weapon platform' then you can build to the limitations on the platform, i.e, Small, Medium, Large, Capital, etc. 

:D

I really like the idea of modular weapons.

Maybe some kind of mass driver, like those in the Halo ships, could be a thing.

There could be railgun-barrel parts, maybe for different calibers, so you can decide how long and powerful the weapon should be. In addition to the barrel itself you would need capacitors, which would have to be charged by the ships reactors. The actual power of the cannon would also depend on the number of capacitors, and the ships energy system would be a limiting factor on how fast it could reload/recharge.

When you look at the Halo ships, those mass drivers are too big to mount them on a turret, so they are built into the ships hull - sometimes almost as long as the ship itself. In this case, the maneuverability of the ship is a huge limitation when it comes to targeting, because you would have to position the whole ship. This would make it very difficult to hit smaller, faster targets, so a rock-paper-scissors balancing is easy to obtain.

A similar system could also be used for large ion-cannons, lasers an so on.

im also strongly in favour of generally modular or at least changeable/modifyable weapons.

ideally we'd have something similar to from the depths where the weaponry is built from blocks as well and is dependent on how one builds it

hopefully with the position of elements influencing the characteristics of the weaponry instead/on top of FTD's "connect it all up in any way" which is mostly volume dependent.

for things too small (or maybe instead of the block based model) something like my buddy Flatfingers describes in these two blog entries

http://flatfingers-theory.blogspot.co.at/2009/03/engineering-crafting-modes-in-star-trek.html

http://flatfingers-theory.blogspot.co.at/2009/03/engineering-crafting-modes-in-star-trek_26.html

((ignore the star trek theme, its just the part mechanics im thinking off))

could be used.

with weaponry (and general equipment) being built out of a couple of elements which the player can tweak and swap out to build a better/different version of the equipment.

flatfingers modular approach would (in contrast to the FTD approach) also remove weaponry from the ship itself and make it independent modules one can mount and swap out if desired

It all boils down to mesh iterms.

If the mesh elements can be assembled like voxel elements but on a much smaller scale than 25cm voxels, then modular weapon types, for even personal weapons can be created.  AND I would encourage NQ to investigate the possibility.

Combining mesh elements larger than 25cm shouldn't be an issue, and we just have to see what NQ provides us with.

I really like the idea of modular weapons.

Maybe some kind of mass driver, like those in the Halo ships, could be a thing.

There could be railgun-barrel parts, maybe for different calibers, so you can decide how long and powerful the weapon should be. In addition to the barrel itself you would need capacitors, which would have to be charged by the ships reactors. The actual power of the cannon would also depend on the number of capacitors, and the ships energy system would be a limiting factor on how fast it could reload/recharge.

When you look at the Halo ships, those mass drivers are too big to mount them on a turret, so they are built into the ships hull - sometimes almost as long as the ship itself. In this case, the maneuverability of the ship is a huge limitation when it comes to targeting, because you would have to position the whole ship. This would make it very difficult to hit smaller, faster targets, so a rock-paper-scissors balancing is easy to obtain.

A similar system could also be used for large ion-cannons, lasers an so on.

That idea would be quite interesting and I would love to see such a np implementation. Additionally I was thinking defensive wise it would be a cool concept to have a defense platform like from halo where you have a rail gun on a stationary platform that is massive and able to destroy most large ships in a single shot.