New Update just made Norton Anti Virus Blocked it.

MrTenneal

Just letting you know that while attempting to update the game launcher my Norton Anti Virus flagged it as suspicious and blocked the action.  Which corrupted the game files.   Now I have to uninstall and reinstall the game.  Can we get an option to verify files, or is there an option to?

The most recent patch also included a launcher update and that refresh is likely what triggered your antivirus software. Unfortunately there is no way to manually trigger integrity checks on the Novaquark client right now. However if you happen to be on steam then you can utilize their validation system to find and correct any installation issues. 

I am also in support of adding an option to manually initiate integrity checks even if the associated self-repair functionality is not included with that (ie: deferred for later due to being low priority). Just knowing that the game files are free of errors eliminates a lot of uncertainty when it comes to diagnosing other issues. 

Oh and welcome to the forums MrTenneal!

Windows defender and a Pi-hole, and don’t click bait. Then use a non installed third party tool to scan your system periodically. My 2c aren’t worth 2c anymore due to market conditions, but I haven’t had a virus in several years.

Portmaster and Brave browser is an amazing combination of software and requires very little configuration if any. 

Pi-hole is great for avoiding traffic from known sources and cutting out advertising bandwidth at your router gives that bandwidth back to you.

22 hours ago, MrTenneal said:

ugh!   Which company should I be using?   serious question.

Honestly, many of those I would have advised in the past I wouldn't recommend now. But Norton, Trend Micro and McAfee have gotten a really bad reputation with me after 20+ years of IT, but things change and keep changing. Every few months these things are tested, lots of things change and it's always a balancing act between: performance, safety, and false positives. After some bad experiences with ESET and BitDefender, I'm not touching those either. Kaspersky is a special case, I've had a terrible experience with having to do way too many actions to completely remove it from hundreds of devices and now with the EU/Russia relations what it is, I wouldn't advise using it.

Having said that, I'm currently using a rebranded version of F-Secure, it's not bad. It's not treating me like a toddler and the interface I can see things in quickly and find stuff reasonably easily. Not many false positives.

Just sticking with Microsoft Defender Antivirus I have mixed feelings about, MS has had both some (if not the best) AV in the past, but also some of the worst. That said, I deploy MS Defender Antivirus in a professional capacity with it's business solution (Microsoft Defender for Endpoint)...

If you like Norton, it's AV capability isn't bad. Personally I get the rebranded F-secure with my internet subscription, I don't mind the interface and it's AV functionality is pretty darned good! But what I also find important (besides performance impact) is the amount of false positives, like you experienced and sometimes that does happen, but not so often as I've seen with others in the past. This is why I have such a bad opinion of Norton, in the past it's false positives numbers were atrocious. Maybe not so much of an issue if you're the only one using it, but if everyone at home comes to you for all the 'scary' (false positive) messages, it gets annoying real quick. It gets really F-ing annoying when you have a few hundred business customers using Norton and the start calling you for every (false positive) message...

Sidenote: A lot of the AV tests, reviews and comparisons I view with big question marks, many of those review sites have ulterior motives or BIG sponsors... My advice, choose something that isn't absolute sh!te, but also something you can work well with. Don't try to follow the monthly/yearly 'best' AV, because those tests are all snapshots and no guarantee for the future.

45 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

I would have advised in the past I wouldn't recommend now

Hence my Brave and Portmaster combo suggestion.  An ounce of prevention vs. a pound of cure.

Edit:  As an added bonus, the only ads I see on sites like YouTube are the ones recorded/edited into the video by the creator.

Edited by Wyndle