Warp ruins the game.

VandelayIndustries

Why not just reduce the planet warp beacon max distance to 150 SU and add lower tiers of warp beacon with reduced max distance of the current exotic version. Players will take care of the rest in taking risks and building warp highways. 

Eve is successful at its niche, but it's an old game and clearly ripping elements off piecemeal (e.g. their crappy skills system) isn't great. 

How warp affects PvP isn't relevant to me because combat is drastically incomplete as a concept in DU in general. Clearly it needs work in balancing and core pillars of PvP like territory war (which is pretty fundamental to the concept of the game) don't even exist on paper yet as far as we know. 

IMO, even 30 minutes of travel time is a lot to ask of gamers in 2021...especially when travel is boring, crawling slowly through an ocean of nothingness. Adding risk to that travel doesn't make it better -- it could make it more boring by forcing people to monitor their ships the whole time. 

I agree that AFK-slow boating for 4 hours is beyond stupid -- it's an actual waste of electricity. I'm not some die-hard environmentalist....but it's pretty inane to burn carbon so that people can AFK in a game while their virtual ship flies. 

What worked for an MMO that launched in 2003 doesn't work for an MMO that has yet to launch in 2021. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt young gamers have the sort of patience where they can spend an hour (or even 30 minutes) just flying across the void...and MMOs do need young people to survive as a product.

So...there's a billion ways to balance warp without removing it completely. 

4 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

Eve is successful at its niche, but it's an old game and clearly ripping elements off piecemeal (e.g. their crappy skills system) isn't great. 

How warp affects PvP isn't relevant to me because combat is drastically incomplete as a concept in DU in general. Clearly it needs work in balancing and core pillars of PvP like territory war (which is pretty fundamental to the concept of the game) don't even exist on paper yet as far as we know. 

IMO, even 30 minutes of travel time is a lot to ask of gamers in 2021...especially when travel is boring, crawling slowly through an ocean of nothingness. Adding risk to that travel doesn't make it better -- it could make it more boring by forcing people to monitor their ships the whole time. 

I agree that AFK-slow boating for 4 hours is beyond stupid -- it's an actual waste of electricity. I'm not some die-hard environmentalist....but it's pretty inane to burn carbon so that people can AFK in a game while their virtual ship flies. 

What worked for an MMO that launched in 2003 doesn't work for an MMO that has yet to launch in 2021. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt young gamers have the sort of patience where they can spend an hour (or even 30 minutes) just flying across the void...and MMOs do need young people to survive as a product.

So...there's a billion ways to balance warp without removing it completely. 

It still comes down to force projection, NQ has said TW in some capacity Is coming, so they seem to want to continue developing pvp. If anyone can be anywhere instantly that's terrible game design no matter how you slice it. If warp was going between many solar systems then flying to your POI then sure, but as it stands warp an in conjunction the big distances ruin the game.  I mean this is a space game all about ships, that are used for everything we should be flying them.