DevBlog: Lua Improvements and Changes - Discussion Thread

NQ-Deckard

I just took in this one:
 radar.getConstructInfos(<int> cid) : Returns a list of working elements on the given construct if identified.

Is that going to give me a full list of elements on the ship (potentially hundreds of them) or just the same information we currently see in the 'info' section of the JSON for an identified target?

Also, given that we have the transponder changes which allow us to see/set the tags assigned to a ship, would it be possible to have a radar.getMatchingTransponderTags(constructId) call to allow us to see which of the tags we programmed into our transponder match the target?

That would allow for the HUD to display extra information based on the matching tag (is it an org-mate, ally, NIP person, etc) and there would be the potential for the LUA to do clever things like changing transponder tag to see if the target also changes to match.

3 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

I just took in this one:
 radar.getConstructInfos(<int> cid) : Returns a list of working elements on the given construct if identified.

Is that going to give me a full list of elements on the ship (potentially hundreds of them) or just the same information we currently see in the 'info' section of the JSON for an identified target?

Extremely doubt it's anything more than what the JSON says. The update seems to bring function parity to the JSON data.

3 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

[...] a radar.getMatchingTransponderTags(constructId) call to allow us to see which of the tags we programmed into our transponder match the target?

This would be cool and useful... especially since we now can set and get tags.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:49 PM, Zeddrick said:

Can you actually read?  Generally if someone says they were misquoted it's clever to go back and see if they actually were before brainfarting out another reply.

Someone else said drop lua.  I replied to it saying that I'm not a lua fan but dropping it was a bad idea.  You replied to me, edited the message and bungled it so it looked like I said drop lua.

GO back and read the thread if you don't believe me!

Yeah, I see what happened here. The problem is with the quoting system. I probably selected that sentence in the post where you quoted it, and then hit quote, and it stripped away the original attribution and made it look like you'd said it instead.

So unreserved apologies for any appearance that you'd said it when you didn't.

However, if you'd approached the whole thing in a less aggressive manner, and maybe pointed out what had probably happened, the penny would have dropped immediately and you'd have had an instant apology and correction from me. It doesn't take a lot of empathy or thought to work out that I had absolutely no reason to misrepresent what anyone was saying, so probably it was an honest mistake.

4 hours ago, Samedi said:

Yeah, I see what happened here. The problem is with the quoting system. I probably selected that sentence in the post where you quoted it, and then hit quote, and it stripped away the original attribution and made it look like you'd said it instead.

So unreserved apologies for any appearance that you'd said it when you didn't.

However, if you'd approached the whole thing in a less aggressive manner, and maybe pointed out what had probably happened, the penny would have dropped immediately and you'd have had an instant apology and correction from me. It doesn't take a lot of empathy or thought to work out that I had absolutely no reason to misrepresent what anyone was saying, so probably it was an honest mistake.

NP,  I was fairly sure it was an honest mistake.  It was just a quote I didn't really want attributed to me.  Sorry if my tone made you uncomfortable though. I don't think my first message was particularly aggressive but will tone it down in future nonetheless.  

Hi @Zeddrick,

On 10/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, Zeddrick said:

I just took in this one:

Indeed, for this update, we focused on improving consistency and access to the information provided by the json in an easier way. Adding any kind of information, when it's related to combat is a bit of a ... tricky subject.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, Zeddrick said:

Also, given that we have the transponder changes which allow us to see/set the tags assigned to a ship, would it be possible to have a radar.getMatchingTransponderTags(constructId) call to allow us to see which of the tags we programmed into our transponder match the target?

That would allow for the HUD to display extra information based on the matching tag (is it an org-mate, ally, NIP person, etc) and there would be the potential for the LUA to do clever things like changing transponder tag to see if the target also changes to match.

Humm... thanks for the suggestion, it could be easy to add ... anyway, I need to discuss with the team if we want to give this information; consider edges cases and potential exploits and balance Lua/no-Lua ...etc.
I can't promise you anything obviously. ;) 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:07 PM, Doombad said:

Can radars be connected to programming boards or only seats? I don't think so from memory, but may remember wrong.

If not, why not? Connecting to programming boards would open up the option to build radar systems at bases, space stations, and so on. Would be fun.

With the update we just publish, you can know connect the radar to any controller. ;) 
The radar can now be connected to all controllers. You can only use radar for PvP on restricted links or you will not be able to identify or engage a target with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we get the getPlayerPosition and direction vectors available *on a screen*? I've been trying to implement some AR features for many months now, and the quaternions stymied me, but now with the screens all rendering for each player individually it feels like all the pieces are in place to do some basic AR work, but the screen doesn't actually have the player location, and basing it off of a programming board means that it will only apply properly for one person, when there's no reason each person couldn't have their own proper view.

I'm going to try to implement it anyway, but it will be clunky by comparison...