The best PVP remake for DU I can imagine

DarthShadeofGrey

I think PvP is the number 1 selling point for games in general and it should be fun, skill-based (this may not matter to most but it does for me personally), and balanced.

With that being said, I just wanted to share some of the ideas I had to remake it in a short summarized form:

- Introduce a battle sphere (only visible when you press a certain key to toggle the view of the translucent sphere on/off) which is the fight box distance for whatever ship you are currently aiming at which is a few hundred meters around it & will only let you fire once inside of it. This will give way for more of a fun chase

- Make ship movement more agile to allow for fun dogfights within the battle sphere

- Switch to 3rd person manual aim & click shooting (maybe add tracer rounds so not every round is seen & you must make an adjustment and/or make rounds not fire off in a perfectly straight line/they could travel at a slight arc due to gravity of nearby planets or big ships gravity generators)

- Require manual reloading for each few rounds or so of the ammo which is a sort of small puzzle or something that is interactive so that the gunner could mess it up & get it jammed if not done correctly... Maybe the gunner uses some sort of telekinetic tool like the maneuver one to lift the heavy round & move/slide it into position which could be similar to those lock-picking interactives seen in alot of rpgs...

- Introduce shield barriers which must be taken out first of course as an extra option for higher level ships and/or players with certain skill levels unlocked

- Rebalance all guns & ammo and make greater incentives for people to journey out into the pvp zone for adventure/finding loot without them necessarily wanting to get into an actual pvp encounter even though they of course would run that risk (maybe add NPC space aliens to fight... it's just too empty out there right now) - credit to Zzatar for this idea

More ideas coming soon... post under construction

all feedback & supplemental ideas welcome of course

11 hours ago, DarthShadeofGrey said:

Switch to 3rd person manual aim & click shooting (maybe add tracer rounds so not every round is seen & you must make an adjustment and/or make rounds not fire off in a perfectly straight line/they could travel at a slight arc due to gravity of nearby planets or big ships gravity generators)

Not going to happen in any way shape or form. Gl simulating hundreds of thousands or million of bullets for everyone. There's a reason why sinulated bullets and twitch shooter are usually capped at 100 ppl or so

12 hours ago, DarthShadeofGrey said:

I think PvP is the number 1 selling point for games in general and it should be fun, skill-based (this may not matter to most but it does for me personally), and balanced.

I would say I disagree on what you think but agree on the rest ; )

Then;

• An "engagement sphere" around ships seems counterintuitive, what you can hit should depend on the range of your weapons.
  • Space is not where you have dogfights, nor close up fights. Newtonian law is a thing in DU and that needs to stay that way. If you want more arcade style combat, try a game that provides friction in space ..
  • Many will oppose 3rd POV for combat, personally I'd agree it adds to the fun and provides a better overview which you lack dur to game constraints.
  • Shields are coming, when.. anyone's guess
  • Guns needs to shoot and in space they need to shoot over long ranges. What we need is countermeasures to allow those not looking for fights to have a way to educe the risk to a level that is worth it in relation to the rewards. And yes, ECM is also coming and again, when is an unknown as of yet..

I don't necessary disagree with PVP being the number 1 selling point of games in general.

But not all PVP.

Balanced PVP.

That's why most games nowadays have match making. 

No one plays a game to be humiliated in their 1st hour in the game by an "2 years in game" pro player.

i dissagree with a few points.
a large battleship should be slow and steady.

The Lock and Fire system works for me at least in space.

new Elemts are always great.

balancing isnt the best right now thats true. Gold voxels as best Armor is Absurd Nonsense it should be a Tier 5 Steel variant.

1 minute ago, Sanguinius said:

Gold voxels as best Armor is Absurd Nonsense

The problem is that there is no real "armor" in DU. Because there are no piercing shots.. 

What we have is damage absorption materials. 

Gold being a good material to absorb damage is correct. 

So the real change NQ needs to do is to add different types on damage. Not the current BS of "thermal" but the way damage propagates in the voxels. 

Railguns should make a piercing line taking down voxels in the line. Possibly even exiting the other side. 

Cannons should have a pierce line, like railguns but less long and splash damage in the end of the line(shell explosion) 

Lasers should do voxel cuts, like cat claws. 

Missiles should be all splash damage. 

In this mechanics gold would be good vs laser and missile duo the high hp. But horrible against cannon and railgun, duo the low armor.