Jump to content
GloPopJigglyJam

On Ship Building

Recommended Posts

Hey all, just wanted to ask a quick question aimed at the more experienced ship builders. I can assume that less weight is more or less always a good thing when building as it would require less power, and therefore less resources to have the ship function. Having said that, would it be advisable to limit the amount of voxel honeycomb material I use and stick to mostly just the elements to have the ship function? I just don’t want to waste a bunch of material when I could just connect the elements together with small strips of honeycomb and be done with it. Or should it be maybe somewhere in between? I’m just unsure.


any and all replies are greatly appreciated guys :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't even have to have items connected with honeycomb if you don't want to.

 

But yes less mass means less power required to achieve the same velocity.  But most things with low mass have low Hit points.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

You don't even have to have items connected with honeycomb if you don't want to.

 

But yes less mass means less power required to achieve the same velocity.  But most things with low mass have low Hit points.

 

 

Hmm, that’s interesting. So I guess some sort of middle ground with good weight but also not compromising on hit points. Thanks for the reply :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GloPopJigglyJam said:

Hmm, that’s interesting. So I guess some sort of middle ground with good weight but also not compromising on hit points. Thanks for the reply :) 

Pretty much.  Also depends on the intended role for that vessel.  Like my work truck in atmosphere is made of carbon fiber or plastic and it is not meant to get shot.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LouHodo said:

Pretty much.  Also depends on the intended role for that vessel.  Like my work truck in atmosphere is made of carbon fiber or plastic and it is not meant to get shot.   

That makes sense. Combat ready material vs non-combat. Why not use the cheapest/lightest for something that’s going to be out of combat. Okay I gotcha. I appreciate the help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also remember that in atmosphere there is drag. And drag is decided by the frontal cross section of the construct, meaning a long slender ship will go faster with less engine power then a bulky one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Also remember that in atmosphere there is drag. And drag is decided by the frontal cross section of the construct, meaning a long slender ship will go faster with less engine power then a bulky one.

Ah okay that makes sense, and is a very good thing to know. Thank you sir for the advice 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another point is that you can also use light materials in most areas and armor "strips" and/or element protection to protect vital areas. For example if your fuel is all in one area, having a steel bulkhead and/or your cargo crates between said fuel (including warp drive) and the hull might turn a destroying shot into a damageing shot. Good for freighters as loseing and needing to repair a bank of cargo boxes or your 6 layer thick steel bulkhead beats losing the ship because you couldnt accelerate/warp away or flee to a safe zone.

 

Also ALWAYS encase your core, res node(s) and flight seat in the best material you can if there is even the slightest chance you may eat a round. and lastly get a space amd atmo radar for all your ships so you can at least see what is going on around you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Arctic_fox said:

Another point is that you can also use light materials in most areas and armor "strips" and/or element protection to protect vital areas. For example if your fuel is all in one area, having a steel bulkhead and/or your cargo crates between said fuel (including warp drive) and the hull might turn a destroying shot into a damageing shot. Good for freighters as loseing and needing to repair a bank of cargo boxes or your 6 layer thick steel bulkhead beats losing the ship because you couldnt accelerate/warp away or flee to a safe zone.

 

Also ALWAYS encase your core, res node(s) and flight seat in the best material you can if there is even the slightest chance you may eat a round. and lastly get a space amd atmo radar for all your ships so you can at least see what is going on around you.

This is awesome advice, thank you sir. I needed something like this just to get me up and running. I do really want to improve at this game, so I’m grateful for the help. I’ll be sure to put it all to good use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...