Physical financial securities

BandaTalk

On 8/8/2018 at 5:25 AM, BandaTalk said:

My idea is for securities such as stocks and bonds to be held as physical items, such as they would’ve been held as physical certificates in times past in the real world.  This would allow players to conduct finance is a far more secure manner and also give the holders of these securities incentive to protect and honor them.  

This would also also allow the set of of trade hubs specifically dedicated to trading securities and would essentially be a DU stock market.  

I’d think this would be relatively easy to implement, but maybe not.  What are everyone’s opinions on this?  

This is an interesting idea. However, execution would be hard. How does the game determine which shareholder is in the right? Where are these stocks sold? How are they made, can they be stolen? Does that meant someone can steal control over a corp just by killing someone? etc.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:22 AM, Thokan said:

I think, naturally, it would be a world of hurt and grief to allow people to buy and sell ownership of organizations.

"Okay, I am selling to Bob11239zt51"

*Types* 'Bob11239zt53'

"Done!" *enters*

Random Bob: Huh, I now control an org. Sweet. 

On 8/10/2018 at 7:42 AM, Ben Fargo said:

A mechanism for ownership of organizations has already been announced.  Being a legate will mean being an owner of the organization.  How would these stocks fit with that system? 

I think it would be a good idea to be able to exchange a legateship in the market.  If that is not possible, it would still happen informally with one player agreeing to make another a legate for a certain amount of quanta.  With an informal transaction, there is always the  possibility one player does not fulfill their part of the deal.  Going through the market would ensure no one is cheated.  However, I do not see the advantage of introducing another in-game object to do that.

Kinda like buying or selling positions used to be done in the Catholic Church. 

As far as physical objects goes it would just be a means to an end of creating a need for banks and bankers. I would say stocks could work in trade markets where sales, revenue and profits are already tracked. Whoever owned stocks in an org would get a very small percentage of the profits as long as they held shares in that org. It would look like a very small hidden additional fee on a sale or it is just taken out of the profit on each sale. This could also extend to "banks". Orgs could take out loans at a certain percent of interest and people could buy bonds based on that? When the org pays back the loan people get par of that interest. Bonds would get into a whole thing... What would stop them from defaulting. Debt collector org incoming... :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 5:36 AM, Caesares said:

This is an interesting idea. However, execution would be hard. How does the game determine which shareholder is in the right? Where are these stocks sold? How are they made, can they be stolen? Does that meant someone can steal control over a corp just by killing someone? etc.

Make a handy item, let's say, a tablet that cannot be duplicated ingame.

Tablet shows host of player specified web request plus response.

Probably: Give the player a save place to store them while afk.
Possibility of alternative player managed currency bound to ingame object: Done.
Possibility of player managed "certificates of ownership" ect. Done. Am i wrong?