Ideas from Second-Life/Sansar

Eternal

I was looking at games like Second-Life and it's successor, Sansar. Those games are unique because it let's you create anything you want through 3rd-party-softwares like Blender and place them in what we call "Grid" (or space) in the game. The reason why I will not move there, is because you need Blender, animation, and C# programming skills, in short, these are all game-development-skills that are needed for you in order to create what you want and your fantasies in the game. Ofcourse, you can buy other people's work, but without being good with these skills(which all takes place outside the game), you will not be a "developer" in this game(other people's work are better, so you will buy those instead). You cannot be a "developer", and to be a developer, it's very hard in this game. So that is the reason why I am not playing Second-Life/Sansar.

In DU, there are no 3rd-party-softwares and everything are created in-game, which makes it easier.

My ideas, is we will create these things in DU's in-game itself, save those in blueprints, give us players an inventory to store our Blueprints(like in Forza Motorsports). Some of our programmers can program an E-bay/Kijiji/Amazon-like-website where shoppers can browse, auction/bid, sell/buy Blueprints (you can also include Resources and Elements in this lists). When the item is sold in the site, you will meet them in-game to do the trade and transactions. Then you will go back to the site to rate the seller/buyer and give them a positive-review or a +. This is a form of online-shopping and people may like to window-shop.

eDdzHWz.jpg

25cm is the smallest Voxel in this game and they can be sculpted to smaller details. I do not expect to see just ships in Blueprint. Take it to Sansar's level and go for furnitures and etc as well. The possibilities in this game is vast. I wanna see people in this game sell sets that you can stack. For example, I want fences that are created in terms of archaic-fashion(the developer will sculpt those very well to details) and sell them as sets, the same way as you buying sets of tiles/wood for the flooring of your house(this way, you have options to buy what you need as fundamental-parts and put them together yourself). 

7c7rlRK.jpg

There are 2 types of designs; "Modern" for efficiency, maintainability, simplicity, and reduction of costs. And we have "Archaic" for more detailed, style, fashion, artistic, and representation of culture, but it comes with a costs and the design is not simplified. The range of designs is between archaic and modern, a mixture of both and is leaning more towards one. Same as music, we have repetition and variation as range, when you listen to pop-music, there is a mixture of both, but pop-music is leaning more towards repetition because of the 3 or 4 repetitive-chords, the melody has some sort of variation. 

I want people to take this game to art-level the same way as Sansar/Second-Life, this is a Sandbox-game. Not just ships and PVP-exclusive. In this way, we will be able to extend the roleplay to culture of art, which is unique to individuals. We all have different taste when it comes to art-preference. I want this to be a market in this game and I'll be happy to take part in it. 

NQ should look at Second-Life/Sansar, but not introduce a single 3rd-party-program. Everything in the game should be created from in-game.

If you would look at Blender, there is a sticker/texturing/decal-tool there where you can paste the mesh to the 3d-model. Give us a paint-tool(on the in-game-computer itself in-game) where we can create the mesh, save it, go out of that in-game-computer and paste it in that 3d-model that we just created and sculpted, like it's a decal. 

The problem with the minimum voxel size is that it makes small details extremely hard to produce reliably. DU's construction scale is more suited to building space stations, rather than desk ornaments...

Blueprints are already ingame but no 3rd party program to allow you to import/export creations.

Player made meshes are a bad idea as it would put a lot of stress on the server and generally slows it down for everyone

It has to be seen if people build such things (I really do hope so), or if it'll be more focused on PVP and wars.

3 hours ago, Eternal said:

NQ should look at Second-Life/Sansar, but not introduce a single 3rd-party-program. Everything in the game should be created from in-game.

If you would look at Blender, there is a sticker/texturing/decal-tool there where you can paste the mesh to the 3d-model. Give us a paint-tool(on the in-game-computer itself in-game) where we can create the mesh, save it, go out of that in-game-computer and paste it in that 3d-model that we just created and sculpted, like it's a decal. 

Or, you know, have a sleeve patch that streams the decal out of the Community Portal. Or as I like to call it "Common sense". Some of you guys are making simple things sound overly complicated.

The reason Second Life's developers rely on Blender and C# to add things in-game - like some Space Geniuses that do it as well to an extend -, is cause they are terrible developers who work on the fly, without a plan, without a vision and certainly, without a care on framerates. JC Baillie, is an engineer first, game developer second. Keyword, Engineer. He built this game with a plan. Engineering is about stream-lining a key process, in DU, that's creatitivity.

So, no, you don't need elaborate hoops to add a single decal on a piece of armor (or spray-painting it), you just need a 2D texture that streams off of the community portal, and a rudimentary 512x512 bitmap editor so people can make their own custom logos, and sicne it's bitmap, it can be easily post-processed by a script to either be turned to an SVG (for infinite scalin).

It's not  - nor it has to be - rocket science to add a simple decal. Leave the rocket science part to actual ship building.

2 hours ago, 0something0 said:

I know I will regret this but....

@CaptainTwerkmotor

I think he means an in-game decal creator

Context - like quoting people - is important to maintain cohesion.

What is this a referrence to? O.o