Real Voxel Stars !~!

Hisshadow

Please dont skimp out on stars....   Stars should be real voxel objects just as much as planets are.

This alllows for a churning, solar flare erupting surface..  one that maybe your uber shields allow you to get close to the corona..  or the posibility of a star killer base with the right equipment

a flat 2d painted star,  wont allow for anything...

Not much is known about how the stars will be at the moment - however I will suppose though they will be just part of the skybox. To help with system resources - as to have a large sun would be 100's of times larger than any planet - and that is a large amount of data to process. 

well we can compromise on size  lol    i'm fine with that...   but i'd really like a true voxel star that you can fly around

no mans sky is already getting heat for this

i'd rather have a planet sized star thats real,   than a fake 2d painting that has no gameplay value

Why would any of that require it to be made of voxels?

The flares would be achievable through particle effects. And it wouldn't necessarily be 2D, It would be a a 3D sphere.

Making stars voxel based seems kinda useless to me. Their heat is so powerful you'd never be able to get close enough to actually do things with the material. I think that stars will just be a 3D effect put up in the center of a solar system.

The star will more than likely be a simple sphere with some shaders and particle effects,
there is no reason for them to be voxel, you may as well go get the elements they possess from somewhere far less dangerous, even if in smaller amounts.

The idea was good, but I don't see it being anything feasible at the scale the star would be.