Here we go.. DLC 1 ;) .. Microsft VR/AR

blazemonger

Microsoft is well ahead of the pack right now with the technology. Problem with them is though that that is usually he case but when it comes time to push it out to the masses, they fail. While MSFT has been at the forefront of most modern day 'mass-tech' in nearly every way they have dropped the ball and bailed.

The only headset worth looking at is the odyssey from Samsung.  That thing has a higher resolution than any other headset on the market.  If the tracking is good... that is THE headset to have at this time.

The rest unfortunately use screens that have a bad/low refresh rate afaik.  But of course, reviews could say otherwise ^^

Best to wait, but the odyssey seems like a solid headset.  It even comes with premium akg headphones 

2 hours ago, Hades said:

The rest unfortunately use screens that have a bad/low refresh rate afaik.  

Not really, the other MR devices run at 60 or 90 hz just like the Samsung. And the other MR devices have higher resolution than the vive or occulus. 

Samsung does have a slightly higher resolution compared to the other MR headsets but it's comfort level is much lower, it's around 640 grams. Of course I didn't have the chance yet to put it on. 

Personally I'm looking at the dell visor or the MR set coming from Asus. I'll see how things evolve but I'm starting to concider buying VR. 

27 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

Not really, the other MR devices run at 60 or 90 hz just like the Samsung. And the other MR devices have higher resolution than the vive or occulus. 

Samsung does have a slightly higher resolution compared to the other MR headsets but it's comfort level is much lower, it's around 640 grams. Of course I didn't have the chance yet to put it on. 

Personally I'm looking at the dell visor or the MR set coming from Asus. I'll see how things evolve but I'm starting to concider buying VR. 

True, they're still higher resolution than the current vive/oculus.  However, I'm skeptical of their tracking cability as there is no external cameras/sensors.  If done well, this is a huge advancement.

Hmm, in my experience AMOLED screens have a better refresh rate than other screens.  Even if they're rated the same, they just seem to be of higher quality.

Samsung for sure uses amoled, the others don't specify.  So I'd err on the side of caution 

Both oculus and vive use amoled, it's possible all the headsets do and they just don't specify in the articles I've read 

Actually, only Samsung, occulus and vive are using the oled. 

The reports say that the inside out tracking works pretty good, but I have no basis to compare. Although behind the back movements are solved with a predictive algorithm, so vive and occulus win that one. 

I'm very interested to see the competition between the platforms. And surprisingly I'm more interested in using it to watch movies than playing games. Game wise they all seem so gimmicky. 

But it does look like my childhood wish is finally happening. :P

Interesting about the screens, confirms my beliefs I suppose.  I imagine that's why the Samsung is at a bit of a premium.  

My dreams will only come true when the headsets start becoming modular.  Ie.) replace screens, headphones, microphones, etc easily. 

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

Microsoft is well ahead of the pack right now with the technology. Problem with them is though that that is usually he case but when it comes time to push it out to the masses, they fail. While MSFT has been at the forefront of most modern day 'mass-tech' in nearly every way they have dropped the ball and bailed.

Exactly my thought and I don't see why it would be different this time :lol: hence I'll wait for those who find application in the real world and connect with other companies providing open interfaces.