Integrate LuaSocket Into The LUA Sandbox

yamamushi

5 minutes ago, ShadowLordAlpha said:

You don't need to install something to listen for a connection its there with a socket.

Obviously the server needs to have a program running that has the socket in it. Unless we're talking about a web server then that's not going to automagically be there.

The reason I say there should be a small program doing the mediating is that the DU client would refuse to send *larger* packets before it got permission from the other end. This would make most forms of DDoS more difficult to accidentally or intentionally do. Limit the scope of what you can send and suddenly modern DDoS (talking about magnification attacks here) is not possible anymore. Just allowing the user to have raw web sockets (confusing term) unfettered access to a socket is kind of a bad idea in that sense.

2 minutes ago, ShadowLordAlpha said:

You don't need to install something to listen for a connection its there with a socket.

handshakes can be used to DDoS just like ping packets can be

By the time you have enough traffic built on handshakes alone, it would have to be hundreds of thousands of players all using the same script or connecting to the same host, by which point they should have implemented a real API by that point. 

Not only that, but it would have to be a constant stream of traffic to cause a DDoS. 

Open a packet analyzer and look at all of the traffic you already have going on your network, a handful of handshakes is not going to cause a problem. 

Just now, yamamushi said:

By the time you have enough traffic built on handshakes alone, it would have to be hundreds of thousands of players all using the same script or connecting to the same host, by which point they should have implemented a real API by that point. 

Not only that, but it would have to be a constant stream of traffic to cause a DDoS. 

Open a packet analyzer and look at all of the traffic you already have going on your network, a handful of handshakes is not going to cause a problem. 

never said they would i said they could

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda like this idea, but at the same time I don't see it being needed.

I assume you could do all of this from within the game either way; Having a ship-tracking HQ and all. I do see the pros of it though.

Have a like! I cannot decide if I love this or not.