Passive mode for passive players?

Stephenw92

Hey guys, I watched a video on your Kickstarter and your idea seems amazing, a voxel based mmo, the ability to build anything you want and so much exploration, the trading etc all seems really great but I dont like!e to fight if I can avoid it, have you considered introducing a passive mode or protection for those who want to be a part of the community, part of the trading, exploration and building but don't want to spend months working on something just so someone else can come along and destroy everything? I really like the idea of having a solid protection over a land "claim" so I can just enjoy the game...

Really hope to hear an answer soon so I can support you on Kickstarter!

Keep up the amazing work pioneering the future for gaming!

There are Ark zones which are protected (20km radius) - that's it

Such a mechanic would be broken and abused. It will not be implemented.

Thats the idea of a MMO - gather a group to defend yourself. If you don't like that, stay in the Arkzone forever and don't wander outside - You could have the adventure of your life. That's nothing for risk averse people of course

I remember some kind of "passive mode" for players in a Minecraft server community - you could create (on that server, not in general due to plugins and mods!) passive factions who could not be attacked but could also not attack others. Members would each have like a mobile safezone on them as they would be impervious to player damage and could not damage others.

You can obviously tell that this could be abused by other factions - they could simply shove their valuables to a passive faction (if they didn't make one themselves for this purpose) to keep their goods safe.

The local arkship safe zones are really the best compromise.

With exception to the Ark's Safezone, you will only have player made defenses such as protection bubbles and land claims; however,  nothing a player can do can stop someone from actually breaking the construct with weapons. In order for you to carebear you will be confined to the Safezone, but intending to not PvP in a game like this will likely put you in a situation where you will not have a choice. The best thing you can do is be always prepared, but never try to start any conflict.

You will be able to find safe zones out in the universe as well, but those will be rare and you'll need to invest time in the game to develop toon to get to a point to be able to find them and claim them.

Just be a hermit.  Live underground until you can make a couple probes .... send them out and travel a couple of jumps ( they are a one time one way jump tool) and live on a planet secluded on your own.

OR!!! You can join an organization for protection.  I'd suggest an organization whose vision includes balance and harmony .... if only there was an organization with a logo that symbolizes this ..... hmmmmm ... (pssst, look below this line) ;)

I'm thinking Cinderfall will be a very safe place to settle. Large cities who's mission is to create a relatively save area for beginners will be good places to start. The Terran Union would also be a good org for a passive playstyle, and big orgs in general will probably have the most capacity to protect players who don't want their stuff wrecked.

On the flip side, we don't really know how this will end up playing out. We might just find that the big orgs and these peaceful cities are too tempting for pirate/anarchy orgs and trolls. It was this way in Rust, every time a "bucket town" would get built, inevitably the players who would rather see the world burn would throw it into chaos. Rust is built that way however, to be very easy for players to kill other players. I'm willing to bet that Dual Universe will have some pretty safe cities, since the game's motto is to rebuild civilization.

the Devs have said we will be able to find other safe zones as well, this did not sound like the player made with arkification tokens, but is probably the other ark ships we can find.  that of course is just trying to understand the little they have said about it.

I'm thinking Cinderfall will be a very safe place to settle. Large cities who's mission is to create a relatively save area for beginners will be good places to start. The Terran Union would also be a good org for a passive playstyle, and big orgs in general will probably have the most capacity to protect players who don't want their stuff wrecked.

On the flip side, we don't really know how this will end up playing out. We might just find that the big orgs and these peaceful cities are too tempting for pirate/anarchy orgs and trolls. It was this way in Rust, every time a "bucket town" would get built, inevitably the players who would rather see the world burn would throw it into chaos. Rust is built that way however, to be very easy for players to kill other players. I'm willing to bet that Dual Universe will have some pretty safe cities, since the game's motto is to rebuild civilization.

The city of Emberstone is planned as a neutral city for newcomers and experienced players alike. It is currently planned to be on the edge, but still inside, of the safe zone, so it will be safe from pirate raids in that sense. It will have a presence of any major organisations that are interested as well as markets selling their wares and advertising their quests.  Interested? Drop me a PM.

Kurock

CSYN, Chief of Development

The city of Emberstone is planned as a neutral city for newcomers and experienced players alike. It is currently planned to be on the edge, but still inside, of the safe zone, so it will be safe from pirate raids in that sense. It will have a presence of any major organisations that are interested as well as markets selling their wares and advertising their quests.  Interested? Drop me a PM.

Kurock

CSYN, Chief of Development

Interested. On another note, consider having a part of it go beyond the safe zone. Perhaps for the more seedier or risky types.

Or a "slums section".

Interested. On another note, consider having a part of it go beyond the safe zone. Perhaps for the more seedier or risky types.

Or a "slums section".

Official or not, if the city is built near the edge, nothing prevents players from building near Emberstone outside the safezone. That would be pretty slick :)

Or a "slums section".

Yes, there will be parts outside of the safe zone as well. We do want our privateer friends to feel welcome somewhere after all. And there will be bars and other "entertainment". (But not at release)