Ship Copyright Infringement?

ATMLVE

Love it. Except "Right to Repair". I don't think anyone should be denied the right to fix their ship, for a number of reasons. Perhaps the most compelling is new players, who could buy a ship not realizing they aren't being granted repair rights, and then rage-quit because they can't figure out how to fix their ship.

That just sounds like an unnecessarily annoying feature. Otherwise, top quality list.

Having worked in and around repair industries - the correct mechanic would be more, anyone can repair / dismantle but Right to Repair gives you access to the "repair manual" inc. Morpher spare part catalogues.

That way you get a nice mix of backyard running repair ships/gear at the lower end, and regularily maintained, serviced and repaired by an "authorised dealership" type model.

Thoughts?

Having worked in and around repair industries - the correct mechanic would be more, anyone can repair / dismantle but Right to Repair gives you access to the "repair manual" inc. Morpher spare part catalogues.

That way you get a nice mix of backyard running repair ships/gear at the lower end, and regularily maintained, serviced and repaired by an "authorised dealership" type model.

Sounds like a very nice, but also complicated to implement feature... maybe anyone can repair up to a certain percentage of module/voxel damage, but only those with rights/authorised blueprints can fully restore a ship. That could also lead to some very cool looking, run-down pirate ships, some parts already replaced, maybe some weapons crudely added... so many thoughts, so little time...

It would seem to me that the most fair way to ensure that exact designs are not passed off as original creations is not through our idea of copyright, but more through the way the game generates a sell-able or replica-table blueprint.

If a blueprint is what allows you to both build and sell a ship or ship design, then purchased ships could simply not be blue printable. Similarly, ships created using a blueprint cannot create a blueprint. i.e. the way a player receives an original blueprint in the first place is simply to create a ship, start to finish, through some process other than a blueprint. An allowance could even be made for the original creator of a blueprint to further blueprint variations of the same ship. Thus people who purchase a blueprint to build a ship cannot make a minor edit, blueprint the newly edited ship and steal credit. Similarly a player would not be able to buy a ship, make an adjustment, and try to pass it off as their own design.

This would prevent players from directly copying ships, but would not prevent players from examining a purchased ship very very closely and thoroughly, and building a mimic of it part-by-part. A designer could ensure that their work is not stolen by making it complex enough not to be impossible to replicate.

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing that will be pretty easy for the devs to manage.

QA update

There possibly be Master blueprints which will be your original design and copies of that blueprint can be made and sold on the market. There was no mention of protections on these once they are actually created which makes me think that reverse engineering will be possible.