What will we target?

Hi Nyzaltar,

What will we be able to target in ship-to-ship combat?

Voxels?

Core Modules?

Mesh Elements?

I understand that voxels are most likely a 'No'. 

If its a core module, how do you determine the hit points of a Deathstar vs a fighter?

If its mesh elements, will we be able to cycle through the traget's components, and disable specific ones?

How will damage be applied to voxels and mesh elements?

I could see it as, you target the ship, and your bullets/lazers and what not are put on a random course. So it would be random hits across the target. Unless you had a weapon that was used for precise fire.

I would consider the voxels as hull, and the core components as what needs to get hit to actually damage the ships HP so to speak. There is a game called From the Depths that does a similar thing. The guns/turrets target a ship, and hit at random spots. After certain parts are destroyed, the ships go down.

If you have ever played Starmade, it is more of a point and shoot. The ships in Starmde have a core and other components you can add. The only way to completely destroy those ships is to destroy the core. I could see DU having similar mechanics as Starmade.

Probably you'll be able to target stuff, hopefully not like E:D (kinda crappy). Still they mentioned the possibility of partial damage and to board the enemy ship, so how do you open a hole in a ship if you have a target on the entire ship? You can't choose where to open the hole? Probably you'll be able to target let's say, the hangar door, and do it that way. 

Probably you'll be able to target stuff, hopefully not like E:D (kinda crappy). Still they mentioned the possibility of partial damage and to board the enemy ship, so how do you open a hole in a ship if you have a target on the entire ship? You can't choose where to open the hole? Probably you'll be able to target let's say, the hangar door, and do it that way. 

Since we don't know if you will be able to fly AND shoot at the same time, although I imagine we would in smaller ships. Let's say you have AI manning your guns. They might shoot at ships in general. Want to punch a hole in the ship? Go man the turret yourself and use precise aiming.

They have said that they will be using some form of TAB targeting for enemies, we just don't know if we were to get close enough, would we be able to specifically target different components of the ship. Honestly though, you wouldn't know where to hit, like a door, to be able to get into a ship. what if they don't have any noticeable doors? What if they have an arm the moves pieces of the ship to allow the doors to be accessed?

Specifically for boarding, I think grappling onto the ship and cutting your way in would be the best option for raiding a ship. 

Personally, I'm worried. It's starting to sound like you won't have much control over what and where you shoot. How is combat going to be? Will it even be enjoyable if most of the work is done for you? I don't want to spend a couple hours designing a badass ship to then go attack some pirates and find out my guns have a mind of their own and they are not very cooperative, let alone smart.

Personally, I'm worried. It's starting to sound like you won't have much control over what and where you shoot. How is combat going to be? Will it even be enjoyable if most of the work is done for you? I don't want to spend a couple hours designing a badass ship to then go attack some pirates and find out my guns have a mind of their own and they are not very cooperative, let alone smart.

From what I understand, it depends on the size of your ship and if you have AI controlling your guns. The targeting system was talked about in another thread, I just can't remember which one.

But, its either:

You have a small enough ship that you can control everything.

Your ship is too big for just you, so you use AI

Or, you have a multi-crew ship, and other player man the guns/turrets.

I'm sure we will have control over them, we just don't know specifically how precise they will be.

Since we don't know if you will be able to fly AND shoot at the same time, although I imagine we would in smaller ships. Let's say you have AI manning your guns. They might shoot at ships in general. Want to punch a hole in the ship? Go man the turret yourself and use precise aiming.

They have said that they will be using some form of TAB targeting for enemies, we just don't know if we were to get close enough, would we be able to specifically target different components of the ship. Honestly though, you wouldn't know where to hit, like a door, to be able to get into a ship. what if they don't have any noticeable doors? What if they have an arm the moves pieces of the ship to allow the doors to be accessed?

Specifically for boarding, I think grappling onto the ship and cutting your way in would be the best option for raiding a ship.

the game is target locked, i doubt there's gonna be optional precise aiming, because is a matter of pings, we have 1 shard worldwide and the server technology reduces update rate (so more ping) when there's lots of people. If someone is going to hide it it doens't matter, we would have a list of stuff to aim to, and the weapons will do their job automatically. And if you use a mechanical door, you can just target the mechanical block that hold the door. Anyway that was just a guess, i don't think (and hope) is going to work like that

From what I understand, it depends on the size of your ship and if you have AI controlling your guns. The targeting system was talked about in another thread, I just can't remember which one.

But, its either:

You have a small enough ship that you can control everything.

Your ship is too big for just you, so you use AI

Or, you have a multi-crew ship, and other player man the guns/turrets.

I'm sure we will have control over them, we just don't know specifically how precise they will be.

Hopefully, this is the case. For larger ships, AI is perfectly reasonable. I'm more concerned about the smaller ones. I suppose all we can do is wait to find out for sure.