Weaponry and its functionality

ODINxKANE

I for one personally hate the games where your gun auto shoots and it will shoot through things including your ship. If a ship or station has a turret, i am fine with auto fire, but it should be restricted by the builder so that its fire arc can not shoot the station or ship. If it does it should damage and destroy the ship or station. It shouldnt be too hard to do, just putting limitations on the x and y axis of the turrett so that you dont blast pieces off of your own ship. maybe even making an adjustable sphere that a player can alter to make his turrett so that it has a maximum arc but wont allow it to shoot at things that arent inside the adstable sphere or semi spere.

Fixed direction weapons need to be aimed and fired by moving the ship, and actually pressing a button or pulling a trigger to fire them. In this fashion the weapons could still have a minimal firing arc of say +or- 2 degrees from centered once a target is locked, but the ship would still have to be aimed to get the weapon to hit.

Just some thoughts that i had. share your thoughts.

I imagine that this won't be problem and at the same time, will be a problem. Let me explain:

So in the dev blog for Lua Scripting, it was stated that constructs by a player and that have functionality will have a Distributed Processing Unit and scripts. We can imagine that you would need to script in a type of AI module in so that turrets could fire. I would then imagine that the turret would either auto detect player constructs with the same owner or organization. If that isn't the case, then the Ai would probably take a couple parameters that define its target radius and targets. This is my idea of what it might be though, so it's up for correction when necessary. 

I for one personally hate the games where your gun auto shoots and it will shoot through things including your ship. If a ship or station has a turret, i am fine with auto fire, but it should be restricted by the builder so that its fire arc can not shoot the station or ship. If it does it should damage and destroy the ship or station. It shouldnt be too hard to do, just putting limitations on the x and y axis of the turrett so that you dont blast pieces off of your own ship. maybe even making an adjustable sphere that a player can alter to make his turrett so that it has a maximum arc but wont allow it to shoot at things that arent inside the adstable sphere or semi spere.

Fixed direction weapons need to be aimed and fired by moving the ship, and actually pressing a button or pulling a trigger to fire them. In this fashion the weapons could still have a minimal firing arc of say +or- 2 degrees from centered once a target is locked, but the ship would still have to be aimed to get the weapon to hit.

Just some thoughts that i had. share your thoughts.

lol the fact i read this an envisioned a geometrical graph makes this wonderful lol. anyways i completely agree. i would think its possible to control the firing arc of the turrets once you put it on the ship or building

I imagine that this won't be problem and at the same time, will be a problem. Let me explain:

So in the dev blog for Lua Scripting, it was stated that constructs by a player and that have functionality will have a Distributed Processing Unit and scripts. We can imagine that you would need to script in a type of AI module in so that turrets could fire. I would then imagine that the turret would either auto detect player constructs with the same owner or organization. If that isn't the case, then the Ai would probably take a couple parameters that define its target radius and targets. This is my idea of what it might be though, so it's up for correction when necessary. 

I like the idea of the AI handling it for the turret arc. My main goal is to make a couple of things possible and a couple of things impossible.

1. I want the opportunity for friendly fire to be real

2. I want tho opportunity for self inflicted damge to be real if you dont manage your ships systems correctly

3. I think that the ability to alter and change a firing arc could also make it so that you arent firing into an area you dont want to i.e. maybe shooting across the front of a launch bay for fighters or blasting where a ship could potentially dock with yours.

4. I want to ensure that a turret on the port side of my ship wont shoot a target on the starbord side by somehow magically shooting through my ship without damaging anything.

5. with fighter class ships with fixed weapons, i want to have to rely on some skill to pilot the ship and  "make the shot"

6.make it possible for ships to have blind spots where the arcs of fire dont cover or cant cover alowing for attack in a blind spot.

7. also implement some way of managing weapons size so that capital sized turrets cant blast a fighter out of the air everytime, large weapons should have a hard time hitting small craft.

just my thoughts, add to them twist and contort them and lets discuss :)