Data Markets

Darius Sanguna

I have read this topic about exploration and how it could be made intresting in the longrun and i don't like the idea of a limited amount of data items, mentioned in the topic, simply because data is so endless as your storage space for it. And for some reason all people in this topic, at least it seems so to me could be just imagination, have assumed that there will be a single galactic-wide market for data (maybe i missed something on the DevBlogs) and i don't like this idea either.

So i would go with that what the internet is doing today, provide a master from which will be made copies if someone buy it, of course the master can be updated if new data is available. The master is bound to the seller and every time someone buys a copy from this master the seller will get the money. A Master is created, if someone places data in the market to sell it. After copying the master, the copy and the master will be equal, so yes, you can buy and sell it again, so works trading, but read further it will all make sense. The Data will be automatically tagged after creation, in case of exploration data with 4 tags: object of scan, creator, version and level of information. If you try to sell some data, it will be checked if something on the market matches the tags, and if something on the market have a match on all 4 tags, you won't be able to sell your data, this is to prevent the flooding of the market with one and the same.

As you already can see, i'm going for multiple markets, that can be setup by players. The reason why i'm going for mutiple markets is, that the needed ingame infrastructure for a galactic-wide real-time data market in a 10k+ MMO, would be massive, not to say absolutly humongous. Yes the devs could it make so that it could work with "magic", but i don't think thats is the way DU is going.

An example so that you can follow me, imagine two sets of exploration data for a planet, one with the lowest level of information and the other one with the highest. The first will have general informations, such as atmospheric composition, the most common minerals and a basic surface map with a resolution of 10 meter per pixel, so you get a basic idea of the planet. The second one will pretty much contain everything what there is to know about the planet, including the exact amount of each compound that are making the planet and a 3D Map with all the inner parts of the planet and a resolution of 1 millimeter per pixel. I think you get an idea how they would differ in terms of file size. And now imagine a network in which hundreds of such files send to hundreds of different location in just a second. For the first file it could be feasible to manage, but for the second file, that would probably be petabyte sized or higher, no not a chance.

So back to topic, as already mentioned the markets would be setup by players and organizations and would be accessible via fix mounted terminals in buildings, stations, ships, etc. or via remote connect, if you near enough, with your bord-computer or your super-duper-life-support-nano-machine-it-can-everything-PC-thingi mounted on your forearm. (yes this is going to you Gallo ;)) You could also connect the markets, so that they work as one, but you would have to provide a sufficient infrastructure.

There was more on my mind but i can't remember, i probably lost the half of my toughts as i jumped back to further explain my toughts about why i don't like the idea of a single market, sorry for that. :D If they come back to me, i will add a second post.

Edit1: to clearify things

your bord-computer or your super-duper-life-support-nano-machine-it-can-everything-PC-thingi mounted on your forearm. (yes this is going to you Gallo ;))[/font][/size]

Hey i like that, can we get the devs to change the name to that ;)

I'm not sure why you think people in that thread are assuming a global market. I am sure the opposite is true... because DU will not have a global market. Markets will be setup by players and have limited range - meaning you can only see what is trading at the market you are at. There will be elements called Information Units which will be able to connect or network markets together but the exact mechanics are not yet known. Here's the devblog on markets https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/12/04/from-barter-to-market-economy/#more-364. There's more information on the Information Units somewhere on the forum... possibly in the market economy devblog thread, if I find it I'll edit this post.

I'm not sure what you mean by limited data items. Do you mean that exploration data (and when I say that I mean it to encompass a lot of subcategories of data) should not be destroyed when it is sold? I.e. so it can be sold multiple times? If so, I agree. Nyzaltar has said that explorers will be able to sell information on resource locations, etc through contracts. Whether the buyer can then sell it on after, I'm not sure and I think that would be a sensitive topic.

I'm not sure why you think people in that thread are assuming a global market. I am sure the opposite is true... because DU will not have a global market. Markets will be setup by players and have limited range - meaning you can only see what is trading at the market you are at. There will be elements called Information Units which will be able to connect or network markets together but the exact mechanics are not yet known. Here's the devblog on markets https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/12/04/from-barter-to-market-economy/#more-364. There's more information on the Information Units somewhere on the forum... possibly in the market economy devblog thread, if I find it I'll edit this post.

I'm not sure what you mean by limited data items. Do you mean that exploration data (and when I say that I mean it to encompass a lot of subcategories of data) should not be destroyed when it is sold? I.e. so it can be sold multiple times? If so, I agree. Nyzaltar has said that explorers will be able to sell information on resource locations, etc through contracts. Whether the buyer can then sell it on after, I'm not sure and I think that would be a sensitive topic.

When they described their thoughts so it has sounded as they're assuming this. Maybe i got something wrong because im not a native english speaker, i dunno.

With limited i mean in this case a limited amount of items you get after scanning or researching something, was also mentioned in the exploration thread.

But thanks that you have alert me for my lack of clarity, i hope this is understandable my brain is turning slowly to liquid, because it is so hot today and i'm tired.

Greetings to all!
I was thinking about a similar topic...

I look forward to start building something "alive" in this awesome game; write some LUA code to make things alive...

So, i was thinking about the possibility to sell these scripts (as any other intangibles goods, like maps, etc) on the market; are there any plans to sell these kinds of goods in exchange of a daily/weekly/montly fee?

The seller could have a income for each license until his "informations" are the best on the market (forcing him to improve his work, improving the script, gathering the most updated exploration maps, improving his blueprints, etc)... And the buyer could receive frequent updates (like the last versione of the script, or the most updated map, or maybe the last interview from his preferred ingame magazine)...

I think this could open some interesting gameplay...

Are there any plans in this direction?