Prisoners/Slaves and Ransoms?

I am considering this strictly for the mechanics of this game.

It's specifically designed to be balanced within the means of this game.

People grow crops, "vitoc" would be a high demand drug for min maxers to get a tiny buff. Either HP or Stamina or some equivalent by the terms NQ eventually lays out, something 0-5%, just enough to make people interested but not a absolute must.

helps create some base line economic value for crops that arent bio fuel crops. and a supply chain, crops -> refine -> drug -> market

The cure has to be rare, it simply cant be something that players just grow a crop and cure themselves of the downsides of the drug, which is to either keep taking the drug and be ok, fight the drug and get debuffed.

If they decide to implement skill loss on death, perhaps without 'insurance', then thats fine Ill live with it. I was specifically avoiding it though because losing items and the like is already pretty bad. I only needed a way to make people think twice about using suicide to escape being prisoners.

Even if they suicide or die the drug needs to stay in them was all I meant by a permanent debuff, you only experience the negatives of the drug if you stop taking it every X amount of time.

It would probably be a genetic mutation that makes their body crave the drug or suffer the consequences, by the nature of quantum immortality, this way when the RN reconstructs you the effects of the 'vitoc' continue on.

The only ways you would come down with the 'vitoc' condition would be if you either injected yourself, or someone captured you, had the cuffs on you and used specific commands that the cuffs grant access to the owners.

The need for the cure to be difficult to produce, well theres only one way to do that and thats to use the monoliths / discovery system. If you attach it to crops the market will in time flood with the cure and make the drug irrelevant.

-The cuffs exist for several means.

Granting the dominator access to looting your on character inventory, by extension stripping you of clothing/ weapons.

Ability to inject you with shots / chemicals

Ability to drag/ carry you

Ability to force your character to perform certain emotes. or talk in local chat. (essentially turning you into a dancer or a shoutbox)

And you have to give captors a few minutes to do what they're going to do, so the cuffs need to disable your ability to suicide temporarily.

Suicide should have a countdown timer, and disable other actions. that way people cant just click suicide and keep running or fighting.

If you get cuffed and logout, your body stays in game.

Now on the other side of the cuffs, someone could just come and unlock the cuffs but then obvious repercussions might ensue such as the owner of the cuffs labeling you a criminal and coming for you.

People and even kids see this kind of of content all the time, id say its pg-13 if anything.

People get handcuffed by the cops and forced into the back of a car all the time, cops frisk people down and 'steal' their drugs and call it evidence. 

The element for criminality of any function is always possible.

If the entire community banded together we could build a chain of walls around the Novark Arkship and trap all the new characters in there. Give them a tag that demands they pay a mega corp a weekly tithe to get out of the walls.

People might use ship reactors and overload them in urban areas as terrorist devices.

Theres already many elements of this game that could be abused, namely the penis voxel ship I believe some were worried about. Just because the possibility is there doesn't make the game M for Mature.

BUT, you make a good point on a hostage situation, but in the short, more organic way.

Player A has a 1000000 Skill points invested into his skills.

Player B wants Player A's turf. Playe A and B fight. Player B wins, then trhreatens Player A to relinquish command of his turf or risk being killed and losing precious skill points (the loss should be a percentage to keep the scaling relevant in higher skill levels).

No handcuffs, no drugs that will make the game 18+ and possibly, banned in half the countries in Europe and Australia. I mean, fallout and GTA has a tough time getting into most countries in Europe and Australia.

My suggestion is all organic. Player interactions, not player actions. Coercing another by threat (or some charisma if you got the McConaugheys to pull it off), not coercing them by "pressing a button".

You got to consider that people in an MMO are players, not NPCs, they are subjects like you, not objects. It saddens me to see people having such sadistic thoughts and expressing them in a game.

Peace. ^_^ 

I much prefer this kind of hostage interaction. Natural and simplistic.

No drugs.

No handcuffs.

No permanent debuffs.

I am considering this strictly for the mechanics of this game.

It's specifically designed to be balanced within the means of this game.

People grow crops, "vitoc" would be a high demand drug for min maxers to get a tiny buff. Either HP or Stamina or some equivalent by the terms NQ eventually lays out, something 0-5%, just enough to make people interested but not a absolute must.

helps create some base line economic value for crops that arent bio fuel crops. and a supply chain, crops -> refine -> drug -> market

The cure has to be rare, it simply cant be something that players just grow a crop and cure themselves of the downsides of the drug, which is to either keep taking the drug and be ok, fight the drug and get debuffed.

If they decide to implement skill loss on death, perhaps without 'insurance', then thats fine Ill live with it. I was specifically avoiding it though because losing items and the like is already pretty bad. I only needed a way to make people think twice about using suicide to escape being prisoners.

Even if they suicide or die the drug needs to stay in them was all I meant by a permanent debuff, you only experience the negatives of the drug if you stop taking it every X amount of time.

It would probably be a genetic mutation that makes their body crave the drug or suffer the consequences, by the nature of quantum immortality, this way when the RN reconstructs you the effects of the 'vitoc' continue on.

The only ways you would come down with the 'vitoc' condition would be if you either injected yourself, or someone captured you, had the cuffs on you and used specific commands that the cuffs grant access to the owners.

The need for the cure to be difficult to produce, well theres only one way to do that and thats to use the monoliths / discovery system. If you attach it to crops the market will in time flood with the cure and make the drug irrelevant.

-The cuffs exist for several means.

Granting the dominator access to looting your on character inventory, by extension stripping you of clothing/ weapons.

Ability to inject you with shots / chemicals

Ability to drag/ carry you

Ability to force your character to perform certain emotes. or talk in local chat. (essentially turning you into a dancer or a shoutbox)

And you have to give captors a few minutes to do what they're going to do, so the cuffs need to disable your ability to suicide temporarily.

Suicide should have a countdown timer, and disable other actions. that way people cant just click suicide and keep running or fighting.

If you get cuffed and logout, your body stays in game.

Now on the other side of the cuffs, someone could just come and unlock the cuffs but then obvious repercussions might ensue such as the owner of the cuffs labeling you a criminal and coming for you.

People and even kids see this kind of of content all the time, id say its pg-13 if anything.

People get handcuffed by the cops and forced into the back of a car all the time, cops frisk people down and 'steal' their drugs and call it evidence. 

The element for criminality of any function is always possible.

If the entire community banded together we could build a chain of walls around the Novark Arkship and trap all the new characters in there. Give them a tag that demands they pay a mega corp a weekly tithe to get out of the walls.

People might use ship reactors and overload them in urban areas as terrorist devices.

Theres already many elements of this game that could be abused, namely the penis voxel ship I believe some were worried about. Just because the possibility is there doesn't make the game M for Mature.

Again, you are talking about sociopathic habbits in a game. Griefing is sociopathic enough. Player lootability is a core of the game, because there are no Legendary or Epic items in the game. Gear is simply gear. An AR-15 is an AR-15, no matter your emotional attachment with it. 

You know what is not fun? Long-term in-game mindcontrol. WoW in PvP was broken in Arenas for a while when priests pulled a mind-control on you, while their 2v2 partner melted your buddy.

So no, please no sociopathic suggestions, they make me wanna puke. 

And, really, you wanna block the new players from playing the game? Good idea, you and your sociopathic gang will probably have fun playing alone then. Look at MMOs where the starting area is a killzone. They are EMPTY. 

Good to see people's sociopathy coming out. Shows character quality or lack there of.

Also, you are confusing LAW ENFORCEMENT with SLAVERY and FORCED LABOR VIA DRUG ADDICTION. 

Let skillpoint loss and lootability being the main driving forces behind piracy, there's no need for sociopathic things in a video game. Such things you are suggesting indicate an urge to cause a toxic culture in the game. 

Seriously? Block new players from playing the game? Seriously? 

Seriously? Seriously?

I never said I was going to make Alioth Great Again, I only said what could be done with a concerted effort by many people. Just as you said, people are capable of absurd cruelty; please remain calm.

I only offer you a new interesting system that would be unique to DU. It allows for darkness to exist in the game, it allows for interesting stories to exist, people to become true freedom fighters or rebels.

Sure you can kill a guy and take his ar-15, or you can probably buy one for a handful of credits. Im aware that tier levels on items may not exist, but I'll wait until I see what NQ has in mind. maybe theyll make a RNG crafting system for rares. I dont know, anything is possible on that still.

I do fear though that in general everyone will sit behind their arkified areas with little reason to leave.

Abundant resources, easy grow crops or even no food requirement at all, who cares about exploring after your' established and so forth.

I'm still looking for ways to keep things fresh and give people reasons to do things. Otherwise this natural piracy you guys want will just be camping the edges of safe zones, fairly sure they have not said we would be able to loot people. Rather that when you die you lose items upon the RN reviving you.

I'm not trying to be your enemy, just looking for interesting alternative solutions, I appreciate you providing resistance to the idea.

I played dayz as well, I considered it far worse that everyone just kills each other on sight instead of having any alternatives to camp kill loot. Was very boring and felt far more psychopathic than a capture system.

Seriously? Seriously?

I never said I was going to make Alioth Great Again, I only said what could be done with a concerted effort by many people. Just as you said, people are capable of absurd cruelty; please remain calm.

I only offer you a new interesting system that would be unique to DU. It allows for darkness to exist in the game, it allows for interesting stories to exist, people to become true freedom fighters or rebels.

Sure you can kill a guy and take his ar-15, or you can probably buy one for a handful of credits. Im aware that tier levels on items may not exist, but I'll wait until I see what NQ has in mind. maybe theyll make a RNG crafting system for rares. I dont know, anything is possible on that still.

I do fear though that in general everyone will sit behind their arkified areas with little reason to leave.

Abundant resources, easy grow crops or even no food requirement at all, who cares about exploring after your' established and so forth.

I'm still looking for ways to keep things fresh and give people reasons to do things. Otherwise this natural piracy you guys want will just be camping the edges of safe zones, fairly sure they have not said we would be able to loot people. Rather that when you die you lose items upon the RN reviving you.

I'm not trying to be your enemy, just looking for interesting alternative solutions, I appreciate you providing resistance to the idea.

I played dayz as well, I considered it far worse that everyone just kills each other on sight instead of having any alternatives to camp kill loot. Was very boring and felt far more psychopathic than a capture system.

I am forgiving you just because of the Dolan Trumpet joke. And I think the arkified area thingy will be a compromise. It will be defined by the devs and it won't be claimable, whilst the claimed areas won't be arkified and will have to rely on artificial means of defense (force field domes, turrets etc etc).

And I don't think we need darkness in a game. We come to games for escapism. If I wanted darkness I have the internet for that :/

• 4 years later...

Why don't you make it simple. Have an opt in/opt out for slavery mechanics. Those who opt in can be caught/enslaved and a clearly "matked" as such, and those that opt out do not have to participate in it. 

Enslaved players (opt in players) can have a mechanic that does not allow them to force respawn but would have to kill themselves thus choosing to give up all their carried items and be lootable, unless they find their body before somebody else does.