Prisoners/Slaves and Ransoms?

First of all im a horrible person,

So i would love a way to knock out people, allowing you to handcuff them and throw them, stripped of their euipment, in a cell and let them rot or force them to do manual labour,

of course to make this vaiable persons would either have to RP a fear of death (unlikely) or some gameplay mechanic should punish you for dying because with your euipment gone, that would be the only fear of dying and players would just provoke you shooting them.

Avoiding the Slavery you could just capture an important person (the master engineer who is unimaginly skilled in coming up with designs) or someone who has some skill (there where skills, right?) incredibly high, making them valuable.

(please let me be the evil slaver foundation making trips to undefended core worlds taking slaves and be the most hated/wanted player in the universe)

I've seen something like this before. Slaves probably won't be added into a game unless it's through role play. The reality is that since this is a Earth colony, it would be seen as cruel and disgusting to have slavery. However, as stated by a forum moderator, it might be possible for slavery to re-imerge after a period of time.

I've seen something like this before. Slaves probably won't be added into a game unless it's through role play. The reality is that since this is a Earth colony, it would be seen as cruel and disgusting to have slavery. However, as stated by a forum moderator, it might be possible for slavery to re-imerge after a period of time.

I think i recall this post that was made.

I'm sure it was stating that you can do whatever you like, you can be a master slaver or a business tycoon, but if it involves other people in the game you would have to have them willingly participate. The participation was pointed directly at the slavery aspect of the post too, so i don't think it is in the plans to have any actions that would restrict a players ability to play by another i.e. handcuffs or tying someone up ect.

Me personally i would hate the idea of being captured and forced to either sit in a jail or to just wait until someone killed me so i could respawn and continue playing. What am i supposed to do in the mean time, i want to play this game but this other person has captured me (for no reason) and won't let me play.

I'm sorry but i hope they don't put this in as i can see this being used to greif people and annoy them to the point of quitting.

If there was a system in place or a system that you can think of to get rid of the potential for abusing the whole capturing system, like acceptance popup that you either click yes/no to to agree to be captured or something, i may think differently, but currently looking at other games that have this i disagree with the idea of it.

nora,

Me personally i would hate the idea of being captured and forced to either sit in a jail or to just wait until someone killed me so i could respawn and continue playing. What am i supposed to do in the mean time, i want to play this game but this other person has captured me (for no reason) and won't let me play.

I'm sorry but i hope they don't put this in as i can see this being used to greif people and annoy them to the point of quitting.

It's true. One of the frustrating things about roleplay and with such an immersive game like this is the fact that you're playing with other players - real people behind computers that want to play and enjoy this game just as much as anybody else. That is terrible for roleplay, because people are not going to be willing to spend their time as a stationary guard or a slave...but it's completely understandable as much as I don't like it :)

Here's an idea: If you are captured enable respawn without suicide.  This would mean whoever captured you still gets an NPC version of your character that they can imprison/ransom/enslave/etc while whoever was captured can still continue playing with the same penalties normally associated with death.  If the player ever returns and rescues their NPC clone (which may be done by trade, effectively paying a ransom, or by force) then maybe the quantum reality trickery that they used to respawn in the first place can also be used to re-combine the two duplicates and reverse the original death penalty.  Of course this only works if the penalty for capture/death is severe enough to discourage people from allowing themselves to be "captured" and cloned as NPC prisoners so I'm not sure what kind of penalty that would require.

Here's an idea: If you are captured enable respawn without suicide.  This would mean whoever captured you still gets an NPC version of your character that they can imprison/ransom/enslave/etc while whoever was captured can still continue playing with the same penalties normally associated with death.  If the player ever returns and rescues their NPC clone (which may be done by trade, effectively paying a ransom, or by force) then maybe the quantum reality trickery that they used to respawn in the first place can also be used to re-combine the two duplicates and reverse the original death penalty.  Of course this only works if the penalty for capture/death is severe enough to discourage people from allowing themselves to be "captured" and cloned as NPC prisoners so I'm not sure what kind of penalty that would require.

This would just be so paradoxical that I'm not sure it would be worth it to implement.

This would just be so paradoxical that I'm not sure it would be worth it to implement.

this is true. depending on how the rn works. you are either snatching a body from another parallel universe or your "soul" is being sent to a very very very similar parallel universe. I believe the second is the case. other wise you could just find your spaced body and retrieve your stuff. im not sure on the paradox taking affect with your dead body though.

I know there is a doctor who episode that shows what happens when you cross your own timeline which would be basically the same as what would happen if you saved yourself

It is a game and games exist to provide fun. Nobody (with a sane mind) will see it as fun to be bullied or mistreated. People will just get angry and angry players are the worst type of customers. But if your out for ransoms, try your luck as a bountyhunter, when you are about to kill your target far away from the next ressurrection point. This might work out. ;)

Honestly I don't think this should be implemented as an actual game mechanic for slavery - if people wanted to roleplay this out that would be great, but forcing it onto players that aren't interested in such play styles would be very bad if you want to keep people playing. Personally I am the type that I'd just roll with it, but I have much more interest in the roleplay aspects than other players might.

this is true. depending on how the rn works. you are either snatching a body from another parallel universe or your "soul" is being sent to a very very very similar parallel universe. I believe the second is the case. other wise you could just find your spaced body and retrieve your stuff. im not sure on the paradox taking affect with your dead body though.

I know there is a doctor who episode that shows what happens when you cross your own timeline which would be basically the same as what would happen if you saved yourself

Well if you think about the current respawn mechanics death already results in two copies of yourself; one of them just happens to be dead.  In terms of physics there shouldn't be any difference with regards to whether your current reality version is alive or dead when the system activates unless the game subscribes to the idea of a soul.  In this scenario instead of leaving behind a dead body you leave behind an NPC prisoner.  Of course this would require a lot of additional game mechanics, ranging from giving prisoner NPCs a useful purpose to preventing people from creating a quantum clone army, but I don't think the basic idea is any more paradoxical than the current system.

If the penalty for death is higher, ie losing skill points or losing all of your equipment, then the ability to take prisoners makes more sense.

Otherwise, you're taking prisoners who can just suicide themselves and respawn without any repercussions. 

In DayZ people take prisoners and hostages all the time, and aside from the tools that let you immobilize someone in that game (handcuffs, plastic ties, etc) the real thing standing in the way of someone killing themselves is the fact that they'll have to start from square one gathering all of their gear all over again.

Perhaps DU should share some of those mechanics to allow for hostage-taking and prisoner capture. Specifically handcuffs, or some other item that immobilizes a player temporarily (as they can always break out of their handcuffs with enough time). Also there should be the ability to remove items from immobilized players. 

My ideas probably inch too close to the death mechanics in DU, as I'm in the camp that there should be heavy death penalties (but not permadeath), but that doesn't seem to be the direction things are going. I just think that people should have a reason to fear dying in the game, aside from losing their ships. 

If the penalty for death is higher, ie losing skill points or losing all of your equipment, then the ability to take prisoners makes more sense.

Otherwise, you're taking prisoners who can just suicide themselves and respawn without any repercussions. 

In DayZ people take prisoners and hostages all the time, and aside from the tools that let you immobilize someone in that game (handcuffs, plastic ties, etc) the real thing standing in the way of someone killing themselves is the fact that they'll have to start from square one gathering all of their gear all over again.

Perhaps DU should share some of those mechanics to allow for hostage-taking and prisoner capture. Specifically handcuffs, or some other item that immobilizes a player temporarily (as they can always break out of their handcuffs with enough time). Also there should be the ability to remove items from immobilized players. 

My ideas probably inch too close to the death mechanics in DU, as I'm in the camp that there should be heavy death penalties (but not permadeath), but that doesn't seem to be the direction things are going. I just think that people should have a reason to fear dying in the game, aside from losing their ships. 

I personally wouldn't care for a mechanism that allows for capture of players. I see that putting people off. it be fine if it was pvpers capturing pvpers. but non combat personal will just quit after awhile. why play a game if you get on and cant do anything. How ever I do believe that when you die in DU you lose more than your ship. you lose different things in your pack cause as the devblog says. though you now occupy a body from a very similar parallel universe its not exactly the same so in one you picked up a shiny rock and in the other you didn't (atleast that's the example I think of)

DayZ got away with this kind of mechanic because death came easy and was cheap.  However the supplies you find on another player can be the difference in what keeps you alive in DayZ so it could be worth it.  But that was the "game" that was what DayZ was about.  Fighting for basic survival.  Is there anyone posting on these forums that think that's the way this game is heading?  If you think the idea of capturing and imprisoning others could be fun.  Try playing ARK on a public server.  After the third day (real time) of being stuck in a prison cage by another player try and imagine how many people would put themselves through such an experience and then think they are having "fun".  Now imagine the devs watching their subscriptions go down the toilet.  I'm sorry and no offense but I really hope the the devs DO NOT try the OP ideas..... Or yamamushi's

This concept really would only work if you had someone willingly go. The only other option would be a hardcore RPer that doesn't mind being a slave for awhile.

Another idea is, because it will most likely be difficult to rebuild a ship if your captured and your ship destroyed or taken away, you would have a goal to work with other captives, (maybe your being forced to mine) and they could rebel or try and sneak away and get a ship. Additionally if someone know some bigger people they could either get them to pay ransom or go have them send a rescue mission.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess ill add my mustard to your ketchup here:

Slavery will put alot of people off and

(please let me be the evil slaver foundation making trips to undefended core worlds taking slaves and be the most hated/wanted player in the universe)

incase you would like to be the one and only or the first that will not work for long since it is about ppl playing together so sooner or later you will be the enslaved and not the slaver.

But should you mean to start an organization of slavers... well I guess it is the same scenario just with more slavers becoming enslaved themselves after the other organizations take action.

In my opinion the closest thing to something like a slavery system that could work is like a subordinate system. Kinda like a vampire hierarchy or something where one pledges himself to a Master, ergo becoming a subordinate/minion/slave.

And the only way for that slave to be free would be for another *Master* to defeat his master, which in turn would break all the links between master and slave.

Ofc there can always be many more ways or whatevs.

I can only see this working in a Role-Play situation. What prevents me from typing /suicide, or simplly (If the Tamagotchian get their way and add food needs in the game) force my character to die from starvation?

Plus, slaves? Why? You'll have PvErs who don't want to PvP, make them enjoy building shit for you or harvesting and so on while you play soldier. Easy.

Not even in games like Dayz or others survival games there's an appropriate mechanic on slavery, for a simple reason. It doesn't work in a game. So, since this is not even a simulator, there's no way they'll add it. 

Firstly @op love you and your thought process. I could see a ransom mechanic that would be wonderfull and as much as I would love to enslave those who oppose me.... and their families I don't see a way that could actually be added to the game without other players agreeing to it. Perhaps an outer space region that is excesively dangerous and allows additional evil....

I can see this being very controversial. While some may enjoy this, other player would feel that this is an unfair punishment, and is preventing them from playing the game. With a choice between forced slavery and loss of skills/whatever else besides player inventory, I don't think this is very fun at all.

Perhaps skill loss on death will be implemented, but I would say that suicides should be exempt from that. If people want to RP slaves, they can do that. There's no reason for the game to force it on everyone.

We need handcuffs that take certain powers away from whoever they get placed on. Where it's either you let out happen by submitting authority. Or after you are incapacitated or have your hp lowered a certain amount.

The cuffs will temporarily disable your ability to suicide. And give your captors power to move you, carry you, etc.

A follow up will be a drug like vitoc. Inject it into your captives and this is how you'll coax them into complying.

It needs to apply a permanent debuff.

First it makes it so if you suicide you lose training points and the debuff continues through deaths.

Second if you try to skip taking shots daily your skill training will slow down, then after a long period of time your stats will decrease until you take your drugs.

Third, the cure will only be accessible from exploration sites in limited quantities. In order to make them valuable.

The vitoc could have a minimal buff to make people that escape their captors question whether or not to get off it. Maybe like a 2% hp increase.

Need a slavery mechanic. So we can have escapes, you freedom fighters can liberate people, and more interesting stories can develop.

We need handcuffs that take certain powers away from whoever they get placed on. Where it's either you let out happen by submitting authority. Or after you are incapacitated or have your hp lowered a certain amount.

The cuffs will temporarily disable your ability to suicide. And give your captors power to move you, carry you, etc.

A follow up will be a drug like vitoc. Inject it into your captives and this is how you'll coax them into complying.

It needs to apply a permanent debuff.

First it makes it so if you suicide you lose training points and the debuff continues through deaths.

Second if you try to skip taking shots daily your skill training will slow down, then after a long period of time your stats will decrease until you take your drugs.

Third, the cure will only be accessible from exploration sites in limited quantities. In order to make them valuable.

The vitoc could have a minimal buff to make people that escape their captors question whether or not to get off it. Maybe like a 2% hp increase.

Need a slavery mechanic. So we can have escapes, you freedom fighters can liberate people, and more interesting stories can develop.

From a sandbox standpoint, many of your points don't fit in the game's ideas.

Your handcuffs idea sounds terrible for a game. I mean, Battlefield Hardline had this mechanism and it made sense because the game had  a quick game perspective. In an MMO, having confinement is something that will deter people. Plus, you can keep people hostages by having a few kilotons of nukes hanging on their head from orbit. Then you issue a threat like "you can either let your city stand and join us, or we can start removing buildings indiscriminately until you do." Boom, no need for hostages.

Losing training points should be on any kind of player death. Double the effect on a suicide, but not "assisted suicide", where you dogfight and you misjudge an asteroid and you end up dead by crashing onto it. I mean, player jumps off a cliff on his own kind of suicide, or suicide vest suicide. But permanent debuffs? In WoW, you got Resurrection Sickness for 10 mins and it seemed an eternity, you think a permanent debuff is "fun" ? O_o Plus, there's no chance NovaQuark will dwell near intraveinous drugs in their game. I mean, the drug you are suggesting is practically spaceruffy >_>

And finally, the cure. There's no chance in heck that any cure in the game, will require you to go to a mountain, finding a shady old man who will tell you to murder the indigenous koala people and bring him their eucalyptus leaves as a trophy for you to cure your addiction.

BUT, you make a good point on a hostage situation, but in the short, more organic way.

Player A has a 1000000 Skill points invested into his skills.

Player B wants Player A's turf. Playe A and B fight. Player B wins, then trhreatens Player A to relinquish command of his turf or risk being killed and losing precious skill points (the loss should be a percentage to keep the scaling relevant in higher skill levels).

No handcuffs, no drugs that will make the game 18+ and possibly, banned in half the countries in Europe and Australia. I mean, fallout and GTA has a tough time getting into most countries in Europe and Australia.

My suggestion is all organic. Player interactions, not player actions. Coercing another by threat (or some charisma if you got the McConaugheys to pull it off), not coercing them by "pressing a button".

You got to consider that people in an MMO are players, not NPCs, they are subjects like you, not objects. It saddens me to see people having such sadistic thoughts and expressing them in a game.

Peace. ^_^