Reputation System.

RugesV

Have an idea for a simple reputation system that I think would work well in DU.

First we have 4 reputation types. 

1, Unclassified

2, merchant

3, combat

4, pirate

And its elements that are given this classification.  IE all elements start out as unclassified.  A player can then select the construct in build mode an change an unclassified ship to merchant, or combat or pirate.  Once it is classified a player cannot change its designation.  And all the elements on that construct will always have that flag unless changed through combat. 

Flag changes:  If I have a ship that is unclassified.  and I add an element that is classified as merchant, all the element on that ship are now classified as merchant.  and continues as follows:

Unclassified can become merchant or combat or pirate

merchant can become combat or pirate

combat can become pirate. 

Once an element becomes pirate flagged adding that element to any other ship will flag that entire construct and all its elements as pirate.  IE if you have a combat ship, and add an item that is flagged for merchant, that added element now becomes flagged as combat. 

Rules of engagement:

If an unclassified ship attacks an unclassified, merchant, or combat ship, it becomes pirate flagged. If a merchant attacks an unclassified, merchant, or combat it becomes flagged as pirate. If a combat attacks an unclassified or merchant it becomes pirate flagged. If a combat attacks another combat or pirate it stays as combat. And once a pirate always a pirate.

They should have different icons in the radar.  Which would allow players to decide if that ship is a threat or not. (granted sneaky pirates could create fresh meta unclassified ships to sneak gank merchant ships, atleast once per new hull before it becomes flagged as pirate).

Introduce role specific modules.  Modules that increase merchant ships, cargo capacity, max speed, that are only for merhcant ships. Same thing for military ships, role specific modules that only work on military ships. Of course I do feel that pirate ships should be able to use any module they want, they are pirates, they illegally modify parts to fit on there ships. 

Next up is the debatable part. I think to spice things up a bit we change some zone rules. Pirates can attack merchant ships. in any space zone.  Pirates cannot attack attack military ships in space safe zones.  Meaning if you are a pirate ship and get caught by a military ship in the safe zone, you could get destroyed without being able to fire back.  Military ships can attack pirate ships anywhere.  And of course deep space no rules apply (except flag changes as I said in the first post). 

10 hours ago, RugesV said:

They should have different icons in the radar.  Which would allow players to decide if that ship is a threat or not. (granted sneaky pirates could create fresh meta unclassified ships to sneak gank merchant ships, atleast once per new hull before it becomes flagged as pirate).

Even if you can force this tag to stick to elements in a way that doesn't just annoy people by flooding their invo with meta-data'd elements, smart pirates will just use fresh ships (a solo pirate can get a passable t3 ship for ~6mil, a fleet will probably have org-funding and only needs to keep an even less expensive tackle-ship fresh). I'd give it maybe a month before experienced or intelligent players treat anything on radar in pvp space they weren't expecting exactly the same way they'd treat them now.

Introduce role specific modules.  Modules that increase merchant ships, cargo capacity, max speed, that are only for merhcant ships. Same thing for military ships, role specific modules that only work on military ships. 

Functional elements that do new things will always be interesting, but connecting their function to a tag that may be prone to permanently changing in the middle of said element's operation seems like asking for trouble.

Next up is the debatable part. I think to spice things up a bit we change some zone rules. Pirates can attack merchant ships. in any space zone.  Pirates cannot attack attack military ships in space safe zones.  Meaning if you are a pirate ship and get caught by a military ship in the safe zone, you could get destroyed without being able to fire back.  Military ships can attack pirate ships anywhere.  And of course deep space no rules apply (except flag changes as I said in the first post). 

Well, you're right about people wanting to debate this one with you...

In short, no. This should never happen, because it will only serve to drive players off.

Not only does this fail to make even the barest logical sense (why would a criminal refuse to break the law or hack their own hardware to enable weapons somewhere they expect to be shot?), but mechanics that entirely disable a player's ability to fight back against an attacker for short periods when they cost the attacker something are annoying, making one disable their ability to fight back at no cost to an attacker that endures for the entire time someone is in a safe-zone would just make people quit. If you want pvp, there can't be an Aphelia-enforced "one side wins" zone, it would take all the fun out of it for most people.

On a related note, the whole "let people shoot pirate flagged ships anywhere" thing has been suggested before. It fell apart when people pointed out that it would take players about 5 min to circumvent this system via:
a) Pirate ships could get disassembled in to non-pirate-flagged carriers for protection,
-and-
b) PvP space is functionally an infinite void in which to set up a station to hide a flagged ship, and while a 2-SU radar may net you the ability to search a very large sounding 268,082,573 km^3 at a time, that is still an almost uselessly small detection area when you need to search an infinitely large environment.

So, I don't think this is a good idea. It would take far too much work on NQ's part for what is at best next to no gain for the players/game. If you want to know what you've spotted on radar you'd do better to ask for a scanner-element that spits out data on a target's weapons, shields, maximum acceleration, and top speed.

13 hours ago, Taelessael said:

a) Pirate ships could get disassembled in to non-pirate-flagged carriers for protection,
-and-
b) PvP space is functionally an infinite void in which to set up a station to hide a flagged ship, and while a 2-SU radar may net you the ability to search a very large sounding 268,082,573 km^3 at a time, that is still an almost uselessly small detection area when you need to search an infinitely large environment.

I dont think these are bad things.  A secret pirate base. A carrier secretly operating for a pirate. A cheap throw away ship for ganking. I see nothing wrong with these strats. almost a requirement. 

I do agree that pirates not being able to shoot back at military ships in safe space is kinda an issue.  But the goal is to make pirate ships less desirable. They are already going to get to have all the best modules on them. You allow them to do everything else, and everyone would just fly pirate ships around. 

Also one of the goals of a system like this is the soft removal of items from the game. Where once an item becomes flagged as pirate it sudo removes it from the economy as noone is going to want to buy it for there merchant or military ship. 

What about a module that does 500% damage to pirate ships? 

2 hours ago, RugesV said:

But the goal is to make pirate ships less desirable.

Also one of the goals of a system like this is the soft removal of items from the game.

To achieve this particular outcome you'd probably do better to assign the reputation to the pilots/crew and have it put a bounty on the ship said crew are on (collected via coring the ship) equal to 25% of the value of t1 ore used in the construction of the elements/voxel that were destroyed during the fight (value based on the assumption that max skills were used in the making of said elements and voxel, and the assumption that the elements destroyed were of the 3-lives variety). This would give people an incentive to shoot the pirates, but always result in a net reduction of stuff in the universe by never returning the full value of elements lost even if the pirate just has his buddies shoot him over and over to collect the bounty repeatedly.

Trying to apply that reputation-system to elements wont exactly do much other than annoy people with meta-data, as pirates that for whatever reason need stealth to catch a target (this is presently rare, as most competent pirates can easily run down anything they want to attack) will manage just fine by obtaining low-cost tacklers, and those that don't probably wont be parting out their ships for sale all that often. 

2 hours ago, RugesV said:

What about a module that does 500% damage to pirate ships? 

That would be extraordinarily overpowered. The difference between a full rack of the lowest dps S weapon and a full rack of the highest dps L weapon isn't even 400% at max skills. Also, affixing combat multipliers to the reputation of a player or ship will just tick off the pvp players, especially if there isn't any kind of counter-element that levels the playing field.