What are people doing to achieve lateral 6 axis thrust?

xycrone

10 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I agree that you can get somewhat decent 6 DOF control out of the box, but part of the problem is that DU only has basic digital on/off controls for all axis beside throttle.

And that is causing havoc when you want exact control for more advanced maneuvers like docking a ship in a space hangar that will just fit etc. Or even something as simple as trying to align a vector at high speed without overshooting the target..

So if we had an option to use analog joystick and more fine grained control of directional engines, we would actually be in control of the ships instead of just nudging them in the general direction. And just imagine what having proper joystick controls would to for racing.

It's a valid point, but I can see that this server complexity that allows this advanced voxel game to allow a large number of people to interact in creative ways maybe so difficult to develop that it takes more time to develop, not only because there are still things to learn about the upper limits and quirks of the new server tech, but also because they are most likely having to rebuild an engine they needed to gut to make the server tech, inserted into the existing engine, work without crashing because of bits of the old server tech. 

I am not a engineer but I bet it's tough to make an engine and even harder to rebuild one that is gutted and refitted with way more complex server tech. That's is a bigger challenge then I would like to deal with. So I get it; it may take a bit longer to get all of the features to work correctly. 

So I would like to say hang in there to the devs and thank you for trying to make this server tech work in this mmo game. I want to see this game succeed; and I am very curious about what is possible.  

Edited by xycrone

This game certainly could benefit from joystick control and proper axes management, for sure. 

I do understand the 0/100% issue with lateral vertical thrust, but given most engines have a warmup time of 1s or more to reach full power, feathering alt-A or D can produce a smooth effect. 

ungainly? Perhaps. 

but havok might be a slight overstatement. 

I have never found a situation where I’ve really, truly needed analogue axes and I’ve docked man a ship at many a space station. 

I would not mind controlling parts of my ships with buttons in my cockpit, thing is I'm still far from building anything different than a plane, allready have issues sticking enough elements on that.

One thing I have been wishing for longer, lock 0° angle and 0° inclination... a button so I fly straight basically.

2 hours ago, Overstimuloredom said:

One thing I have been wishing for longer, lock 0° angle and 0° inclination... a button so I fly straight basically.

https://github.com/CptLoRes/auto_level_flying_construct

Download the raw <auto_level_flying_construct.conf> file and copy it to the "..\Dual Universe\Game\data\lua\autoconf\custom" folder.
You should now have an option to assign a custom "Auto Level Flying Construct" script to your control seat, and use Alt+1 to toggle auto leveling on/off.

I use it all the time for unattended flights at the outer layers of the atmosphere where you can travel fast using hardly any fuel.