Help: Premade ship "The Mule" wont really move once fairly full

HiramAbiff

As in the comment, I bought one of the premade ships as a new player who doesnt have a lot of time to learn shipbuilding right now.  However the ship is awful when it is full.  It barely moves and once it gets moving if it even encounters the slight bump it will flip over.  The front end seems very heavy.  What can I buy and augment the ship with to make it usable?  I don't expect it to be nimble like the Dragonfly but I need it to get off the ground and be able to get up some hills.  Thanks for your advice.

None of the premise ships are worth their price, specially if you have to invest the same or more you pay for it in parts to make it work. This are suppose to be ships a new person can get a few days after they start, so skills shouldn’t be a factor here.

2 hours ago, tintreach said:

Straight off the floor, that ship can barely handle 20T of weight.  So skill up, mod the heck out of it and keep and eye the specs in the build helper.  Just be mindful of the 20T limit in the meantime.

And if all you're shifting is 20T, stick it in your pockets! :)

5 hours ago, Iorail said:

None of the [premade] ships are worth their price, specially if you have to invest the same or more you pay for it in parts to make it work. This are suppose to be ships a new person can get a few days after they start, so skills shouldn’t be a factor here.

Word. There is at least one space-and-atmo ship that can't break atmo without modification. They're barely worth the parts price, and not even that, for beginners, because they don't even get to learn anything like they would if they bought the bits and used them to build a ship that worked.

8 hours ago, Tubalcane said:

However the ship is awful when it is full.  It barely moves and once it gets moving if it even encounters the slight bump it will flip over.  The front end seems very heavy.  What can I buy and augment the ship with to make it usable?  I don't expect it to be nimble like the Dragonfly but I need it to get off the ground and be able to get up some hills.  Thanks for your advice.

Some additional hovers might help get it off the ground at 'level'.

Add more push to get the speed above a crawl: atmo engines.

Do not neglect the airbrakes! :) Being able to stop is more important than being able to go! 

While they,  I agree, shouldn't be necessary, the first 2 levels of all the skills are very cheap and quick to learn and give a healthy boost to the underwhelming performance of the vehicle. If you've no one to help, even learning the Lv1 atmo engine and hover placement skills and just deleting the element and using backspace to put it back will combine with your 'personal' skills for even more of a boost.

• 9 months later...

I pulled the reverse thrusters off the front and moved them on the back. I also added two Wing S which give it a lot more lift and help it get into a higher atmosphere. I expected a mule like this with two S containers to at least be able to carry a decent amount but no. It's a noob trap. A complete waste of Quanta. Why aren't there two purchase options, blueprint and fully built.