Mysterious Space Gravity, bug or new feature?

Foamslinger

Hi so on my way from outlying planets (Symeon, Midas) back to Allioth I get this "space gravity" pulling my ship up.

In the past you would point your ship at a planet, get to 29999 kph, then turn the engines off until you arrive.  Now, after "setting my course" in such a way there's a pull drawing me off course.

I have to either keep my engines on with my ship perpendicular to my desired course, or be way off by the time I finish the trek.

This has only happened twice but its not great for my fuel reserves, it has not happened leaving Allioth.

Has anyone else experienced this, is it supposed to happen?  I thought maybe it was the suns gravity but that's a different direction.  Thought it could be a bug but relogging didnt affect it.

Thanks for any information, just trying to figure out how to proceed!

34 minutes ago, Foamslinger said:

Hi so on my way from outlying planets (Symeon, Midas) back to Allioth I get this "space gravity" pulling my ship up.

In the past you would point your ship at a planet, get to 29999 kph, then turn the engines off until you arrive.  Now, after "setting my course" in such a way there's a pull drawing me off course.

I have to either keep my engines on with my ship perpendicular to my desired course, or be way off by the time I finish the trek.

This has only happened twice but its not great for my fuel reserves, it has not happened leaving Allioth.

Has anyone else experienced this, is it supposed to happen?  I thought maybe it was the suns gravity but that's a different direction.  Thought it could be a bug but relogging didnt affect it.

Thanks for any information, just trying to figure out how to proceed!

If its 10m/s2 you probably have a docked ship on your ship. And its generated gravity is affecting the main ship. 

Is it an acceleration, or just a residual vector from your orbit exertion that you hadn't cancelled before you began your acceleration burn towards your destination?

The trajectory line (press X a couple of times) should give you some information to determine whether your vectors are all lined up.

1 hour ago, joaocordeiro said:

If its 10m/s2 you probably have a docked ship on your ship. And its generated gravity is affecting the main ship. 

nailed it, thanks!

Fairly certain this could be taken advantage of considering it gets my ship up to speed pretty fast with no space fuel.  Still unclear if its intended or accidental?

1 hour ago, Foamslinger said:

nailed it, thanks!

Fairly certain this could be taken advantage of considering it gets my ship up to speed pretty fast with no space fuel.  Still unclear if its intended or accidental?

It can definitly be exploited. I have done it in the past.