Programmable payment terminals

Zerrox

Hey everyone,

a few minutes ago, someone asked a question on the official Discord:

"How are services going to work in the game, can you have an automated service charge you [...] Like say you have automated buses"

That's when I had the idea of a programmable payment terminal.

It would be a device that you can place down and customize what it does on interaction.

Does it allow donations? Does it pay out some quanta ever so often? Does it request a payment of some amount?

On a successful payment it could output a logic signal or do something more complex using LUA.

I think we need some way to automate ingame payments, and I think a programmable payment terminal/interface would be an awsome way of achieving that.

Just tell me what you think about it!

Yeah you need a way to automate services so that you do not have to manually pay a person for a service say you want to gain access to a building let's say its a nightclub that allows only people who have paid a fee to come Inside it would be very tedious and boring to have one person wait outside the building and take money from people. Also the money would go to whoever is assigned to standing at the door and not the person who built the building. That is one example another would be say you want to build a fleet of automated taxis where a person would get in and pay, then select where they want to go and it would take them there. It can add a whole new business sector to the game, the service industry

A payment-processing element would be very useful imho.

To make it easy to use by all players will be essential.

Perhaps the default behaviour could transfer all payments entered to the wallet of the terminal owner.

On successful payment, a signal could then be sent to anything connected to the terminal (like the simple switch example in the tutorial video's).

More complex functionality would need Lua scripting, but basic use would be as simple as using a switch element.

I really could imagine this for ship sales.

The seller could have a kind of showroom for every ship(or may a big room with different platforms). Every of this could have one of these devices showing the price of the ship.

If you want to buy a ship you just have to use the device and confirm the payment.

The script will automatically change the ship ownerment to you and then open a hangar door, likely on the roof above, so you simply start your new ship and fly out of the building.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the idea.

I would like a service that gives a right of passage after a fee is paid or something similar. preferably timed so that you pay for a time period to access a service or ship or dock without Me having to be there physically.

greetz aaron.   Good thinking!

Sounds great, I’d appreciate it if the terminal could be used to transfer digital items like scripts, code, decrees, documents, or plans. Maybe even use it to make an Ingame messaging system, a whole “internet” even. Probably be an email system based on how it would work in concept