Penalty for death

gyurka66

I personally think we are thinking about this the wrong way (with the exception of deliberate suicide - that's a place to put a penalty IMO, but not the point I am making).

We have an in game mechanic which is clear - you resurrect if you're near the safe zone. Resurrection machines are strategic items, expensive to run etc. When you die you go to the nearest one, which if you are exploring the big bad word, could be fricken miles away. But at the end of the day - why penalise those who die?

If there is no penalty for dying AT ALL other than community shame, lost time and annoyance etc, then everyone wins. Really - every game mechanic out there handling death via XP loss, equipment decay etc, are really just putting a grind treadmill in place, which leads to players getting annoyed.

So what if we reversed the premise. What if the penalty for death, is ultimately, death.

By which I mean - we know the system/game keeps tracks of everything people do. Games are like that - it's event logging or whatever, but there is always a record.

So:

* Accidental / misfortune death - no penalty - you're just an idiot and we all laugh at you. You don't lose items really - you have a morpher after all. You don't lose experience (stupid mechanic anyway - the point of death is that to learn from the experience), you don't lose skills etc.

* Suicide - I believe this is where your penalise people - if for no other reason than making sure suicide isn't a casual thing and has consequences (which is an important message both in game and out)

* Murder et al. - at the end of the day, this is what we are talking about really. I've got a whole slew of ideas there, a full working sub-system which makes a law enforcement / investigation industry in game - but the key point - we should punish the perps, not the victims.

Thoughts?

This way piracy would lose its meaning because you cant get anything from victim but a tasty debuff.

So whats the deal with respawn nodes? If I kill an bandit near my town, will he respawn at the town? Is there going to be a way to limit to only neutral players or above? I hope so. If I kill a pirate I want to kick his ass back to some sort of outlaw town or even back to the ark.

Taking the guys stuff will be payment for wasting my time and effort

I totally agree with the point of stealing someones stuff by shooting them up. Like Kirito said, its fun to be the bad guy sometimes! This means the killed player HAS to lose some of his stuff... Otherwise you could simply abuse this system by cloning the items. I suppose it would be boring if you dont have to worry about anything at all. 

I feel like losing the inventory is suitable. I think being able to go back and grab the inventory is fair (or looted outside safezones for others). I don't think losing credits is fair and I don't think credit sinks for say preventing memory loss insurance and clone insurance is worth while. I think it's just a bit too much and silly. I feel also when you deal with a FPS style game you screw around you have fun you explore. Being dumb and dying will happen. Being punished by say skill rollbacks and such I think is a bit over the top. 

Just my personal input :)