Fleet Command Structure & Communications - Diagram

Wilks Checkov

Its too long to qoute, but I will rebutt (is this a real word?) here. 

Sure, that may apply within large fleets traveling togather, but what about smaller ships travelling alone? And what happens if I had a dual captine/pilot role, and forgot about the rest of the ship while piloting? Of course, people's circumstances and playstyles may affect this.

I would agree that the most effective method will most likely involve skilled pilots acting as the equivalent of captains by positioning their ships and relying on the crew to act accordingly. That person could essentially be the captain of a small to medium warship, and a single FC (basically a Commodore or Admiral) would be in charge of directing the movements of the fleet as a whole. However, DU being a game with limited complexity and no moral and legal ramifications (as in real life war) the members of ships could be relied upon to learn what they need to do in battle, and to do it without being told. This will probably require a little bit of training to get right, but it's really the most efficient means of conducting combat, and should be pretty easy, assuming DU doesn't have a massively complex combat system. 

5 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Its too long to qoute, but I will rebutt (is this a real word?) here. 

Sure, that may apply within large fleets traveling togather, but what about smaller ships travelling alone? And what happens if I had a dual captine/pilot role, and forgot about the rest of the ship while piloting? Of course, people's circumstances and playstyles may affect this.

Then you're just a very bad captain/pilot and shouldn't do that at all. Go for engineering. Or janitor :P