Elements, make or break

Hisshadow

From what I can tell,   elements will make or break dual universe.    They are the only things that will limit the types of objects created and the scope of the game.    We need tons of elements.. or,  the ability to create an element.

Perhaps we could assing element attributes to a voxel created object,   like in world of warcraft you can take an ugly piece of gear and assign it the looks of a pretty one..   not such a good comparasion but say  we want to build a custom look engine.. so we get the voxel engine built and its just an object its not an element...  we could then take a engine element that we have and assign its attributes to the custom look built voxel engine we created there making it an element

that works for custom looks,  like actually assigning ftl abilities to a custom built startrek warp nacelle so it really functions

functionality wise the developers are gonna need a wide array of elements...  jjust off the top of my head say for a death star you would need power amplifiers,  that we could link together to keep boosting power output  .. thats a simple one..  but then there is also say directional gravity generators ..    if you had those you could put one near a star to pull corona material up and away from the star,  with a stargate in orbit you could actually gravity pull that material into a stargate and use it as a weapon the material would exit another stargate and hit a planet

elements elements elements...  thats the only limiting factor we have,   id definately suggest right off the bat every element that space engineers have and keep adding to that.    the one way gravity generators i pulled from that.

They've already released images of some 'elements', as you like to call them. 

This includes some storage, power and personal items. Cabling and pipes, a globe (map-esque thing), a landing pad type object, hallway walls, etc.

So they are definitely going to have a very large array of 'elements' within the game. We just haven't seen to what extent they are going to be doing this. Though I presume that it will be a quite large thing, beyond the scope of SEs range of objects. 

The game needs it and I'm sure it will be delivered, as they are still working on the core. We just have to wait for a bit, they might tease more throughout GamesCom this weekend!

I think a lot of people are missing the face that because of the elements being a set shape and design, all of our constructs using them will have the same elements look.  I love this idea of making them look like a construct, I hope the Devs could do this.

for small ships, we will have, 

https://www.facebook.com/dualuniverse/photos/a.303621166476929.1073741829.247958025376577/542722355900141/?type=3&theater

which they gave an idea of how we could use them differently here.,

https://www.facebook.com/dualuniverse/photos/a.303621166476929.1073741829.247958025376577/547120528793657/?type=3&theater

Elements will not be able to be custom made, ie we have to use the elements that they provide to us and that we acquire through crafting. 

"At the moment, the ability of designing and crafting customized weapons related to a specific faction or organization is not planned. Designing and building constructs (spaceships or stations) involves voxels, making construct customization possible for players. On the other hand, crafting enables players to make gear and Elements. Those are non-customizable 3d models (meshes). It would require to make a 3D modeling tool inside Dual Universe to enable players to customize their gear and it would represent a tremendous amount of development time. Moreover, the dev team prefers to keep some control on the artistic vision for the game."

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/?p=9425

The question that was asked applies to weapons, but the keyword is "Elements"

Elements will not be able to be custom made, ie we have to use the elements that they provide to us and that we acquire through crafting. 

"At the moment, the ability of designing and crafting customized weapons related to a specific faction or organization is not planned. Designing and building constructs (spaceships or stations) involves voxels, making construct customization possible for players. On the other hand, crafting enables players to make gear and Elements. Those are non-customizable 3d models (meshes). It would require to make a 3D modeling tool inside Dual Universe to enable players to customize their gear and it would represent a tremendous amount of development time. Moreover, the dev team prefers to keep some control on the artistic vision for the game."

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/?p=9425

The question that was asked applies to weapons, but the keyword is "Elements"

I know that is what they said, I just hope they do something to give us more options for the look and feel of our ships than a few cookie cutter elements required for all ships so that they ALL have some similar looks.

I know that is what they said, I just hope they do something to give us more options for the look and feel of our ships than a few cookie cutter elements required for all ships so that they ALL have some similar looks.

All they have to do is add a base set at alpha/beta, right and they can keep adding different types of the same type of object. Stats aren't hard to copy and past for objects - they just need to have the models there to potentially make each ship unique. 

Then again, they might have the hope that we're going to use the voxels more than anything. Either way, military units will probably want some form of uniformity so that could be the other hope of theirs, that people just conform to the fact that insides or certain things are always going to look that way.

Either way, I hope there is just a good range of preset objects that we can use. 

Even if things do start to look the same.

It's an MMO though, so I doubt they'd just let that sort'a thing just stay the same :P

My idea was not to allow us to create a new element....

It was to create an object and imbue it with the properties of an already existing element

As I stated before say your building a star trek ship.. you want your stattrek warp nacelles instead of the in game ftl drive whatever it looks like

You could imbue your warp nacelle object with the attributes of the in game warp element... effectively making your nacelle function as that in game element