For the devs: What you can do to make me donate

Semproser

Keep in mind the game's official launch is planned to be by the end of 2018. I imagine your friends may own better and more futuristic potatoes by then which may be able to run the game.

I'd actually be really interested in required system specs, too. I'm not worried since I own quite a high-end PC, but I'm curious nontheless, as I can't think of much to compare this game to. There are other complex voxel games, yes, but not at this scope. But at the same time a lot of work can and will be offloaded to the servers, so I find I really hard to eyeball how powerful a PC you might need to run this. Everquest Landmark might be the closest thing.

It would be really unusual to give any official information on hardware requirements this early in development though, so I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll find out any time soon.

You'd think they would, but my friends have been "saving for a new PC" for about 5 years, and as far as I can tell...have gone backwards in terms of funding. 

The game specs are difficult to predict this early; however, the devs have stated that the game will require a mediocre gaming computer. Now this is to say a mediocre computer of 2018, or a high end one of 2016. I would estimate if you know what you were looking for you could probably get a computer to run it smooth today for ~$500 min, less in 2018

This is tripe... The Devs are busy as it is making the game. They don't have the time to bend over backwards for one persons contemplation on backing. If you don't want to be a backer based on what you and everyone else has seen (which is amazing) then don't. There are plenty of others who would be happy to back this revolutionary game. And They aren't selfish to ask the devs to delay the game to please them. Back or don't back. Either way you'll have to wait for the game to release like the rest of us.

Guys the OP has the right to voice his concerns. We as a community should do well to have an embracing mentality.

Having that said; OP if you go on youtube there are plenty of interviews. In one of the interviews the guy is blown away about JC pulling out the game infront of him.

Blown away about the game and server running on a laptop. Beyond that JC has repeated several times that they have been working on the tech for 3 years. And that is what they have today.

To put it bluntly there is no game perse.

I am not here trying to convince you but I think you have it a little backwards. A lot of kickstarters have nothing to show beyond a bit of concept art and maybe a few 3D models. Lofty ideas and a promise.

JC and NQ are doing it the right way.

They first developed the tech on their own money to see if DU was even possible. When they knew it was they decided to kickstart the project.

Community members have played with the game. It is your choice to believe them or not.

And to end this message; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe_Baillie you really think this guy is a con man?

Your choice, we need all the pledges we can get though.

I am also very skeptical about this game and if they really manage to pull this off. I don't believe right out anything they say and I thought long about backing (did Ruby though)

BUT

- The devs punch out new videos nearly every week

- They do interviews as often as possible (and coherently explain the same things)

- They LISTEN to the community (we have now a private discussion running with 26 participants) and ask them for their opinion

- They just had a meeting with 75 people coming to Paris and play the game

That meeting was just now, so you have to wait until people get home, edit their videos, upload them. They will come. Waiting you must learn, young padawan.

I've seen worse from kickstarters so far and think NQ is doing a relatively good job. It's relative of course. For some it's a lot more than they saw so far, for others it is never enough.

Given the state the project is in however, patience is mandatory. Not yet certain? Don't back, come back later, simple. For me it is that simple anyway.

If they released a slimmed out version of the voxel build system, you could have hundreds of "players" playing around with it and seeing what kinds of neat stuff they could make. Problem is, in the wrong hands it could just be a bottomless supply of materual for a youtuber bash-fest like the stuff bluedrake42 keeps kicking out.

On the flip side though, that is how you ignight a community. Kick out an offline version with one planet, and the voxel tools that are already available and we would be posting pictures of buildings and ship components like crazy. If there was even a way to save creations that could be turned into blueprints on the incoming alpha that would be HUGE, but not a realistic thing to expect.

If they released a slimmed out version of the voxel build system, you could have hundreds of "players" playing around with it and seeing what kinds of neat stuff they could make. Problem is, in the wrong hands it could just be a bottomless supply of materual for a youtuber bash-fest like the stuff bluedrake42 keeps kicking out.

On the flip side though, that is how you ignight a community. Kick out an offline version with one planet, and the voxel tools that are already available and we would be posting pictures of buildings and ship components like crazy. If there was even a way to save creations that could be turned into blueprints on the incoming alpha that would be HUGE, but not a realistic thing to expect.

All good points dear sir.