Mod support (Eh, kind of)

Dominar

I've been pondering lately about how much content there will be. We know already that there will be the ability to create and sell designs for ships, stations, etc, but, what about weapons? Armour? Equipment? Someone is going to have to create them, and, with a place as big as the universe, you'd think you'd never go short on new types things to use to your advantage. Military forces, for example. All personnel would be required to carry a handgun, yeah? Or at least, some kind of personal defense/offense. However, with so many different factions and alliances, are all of them going to use the same equipment?

My thinking goes as follows. The ability to design your own such items unique to your faction would be preferable. I can understand the drawbacks of this, however, I think the advantages outway them. In a way, it's rather like creating a mod for SE. There are plenty of corporations out there that have their own unique versions of different parts and blocks. Having the same opportunity in DU would be ideal. At least to an extent. 

An easy way (in my opinion) to achieve support for such a system could go something like this.

Let's say we have a 'Designing Bench'. A sort of crafting table that allows you to shape and create, for example, a battle rifle. All you'd need to do is collect enough raw materials to then craft them into components to form parts. A part could be something like a barrel, a chamber, the clip/magazine socket. Collecting all of these parts then placing them into a design of your own along with a shaped body and some tweaks to how different parts would work and react with one another would result in your very own space gun! You could then paint it with your faction's colors and supply every military personnel with one of these fancy guns. Now players could start a company devoted to supplying the military with the latest and greatest in weapon technology, and not just the military! 

The same system could (in theory) be applied to any applicable item and/or equipment. This would seriously motivate different players to spend the time learning how different things work and how to form them together to create different things. Just like science and technology!

Naturally, a system like this would be complicated to create and would have many drawbacks and problems with it. However, I believe it's the way to go.

Well it's smart to naturally have a mod base and community to a game, however there's a problem. This is an MMORPG. It's not that it couldn't be done, because it could, but it's rather that in-game items would offset the balance of the game. Not to mention that everyone in the Single-Shard server would also have to have that mod. However, in the case of HUD, Texture and mods like those, it would be possible that the modding community gets to that side without the devs saying so. Even if they didn't, it might be for the better. One aspect of MMORPGs is purposely to have everyone play the exact same game. Changing that would mean changing the game, making it different from the other majority player base. It's not a bad idea to have a modding community, but for this game, it's difficult to imagine.

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/

People need to stop watching this as another Minecraft were you can mod everything and start looking at it as an mmorpg sandbox

He got this idea from space engineers. It wasn't a bad idea at first glance. I think it's just good to critique your own ideas before you post them. That way, you ensure that ideas aren't getting put in that have already been considered or answered(I did that my first forum post) or that aren't relevant. After all, the likelihood that someone has sad the same idea twice or has an idea that wouldn't work is high.

I will at least give him credit as he did try and care about the game by coming up with an idea that he'd like to see in it.

People need to stop watching this as another Minecraft were you can mod everything and start looking at it as an mmorpg sandbox

Suggesting a mod community for a building based game does not mean I'm suggesting to create another Minecraft. If anything, the idea was inspired by Space Engineers. Just as MasteredRed said.

Well it's smart to naturally have a mod base and community to a game, however there's a problem. This is an MMORPG. It's not that it couldn't be done, because it could, but it's rather that in-game items would offset the balance of the game. Not to mention that everyone in the Single-Shard server would also have to have that mod. However, in the case of HUD, Texture and mods like those, it would be possible that the modding community gets to that side without the devs saying so. Even if they didn't, it might be for the better. One aspect of MMORPGs is purposely to have everyone play the exact same game. Changing that would mean changing the game, making it different from the other majority player base. It's not a bad idea to have a modding community, but for this game, it's difficult to imagine.

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/

He got this idea from space engineers. It wasn't a bad idea at first glance. I think it's just good to critique your own ideas before you post them. That way, you ensure that ideas aren't getting put in that have already been considered or answered(I did that my first forum post) or that aren't relevant. After all, the likelihood that someone has sad the same idea twice or has an idea that wouldn't work is high.

I will at least give him credit as he did try and care about the game by coming up with an idea that he'd like to see in it.

Honestly, I used the completely wrong word here. Saying 'mod' suggests that players can make third party content for the game. However, what I'm suggesting is actually a feature I'd like to see in the game. The ability to design and create weapons and such as well as ships, stations, etc. It makes sense in my opinion. With a universe as big as they plan, and with so many different factions beginning, everyone using the same sets of equipment will get old very quickly. Besides, not everyone will have equally powerful gear. There will, or at least should, be factions that have technology that is clearly better than another faction's.