Arenas

Caerus

I propose using the PvE system (as much as possible) to add PvP Arenas a la BattleDome - 2 ships enter, one ship leaves
Each Teams' representing player would select a PvP session type:

1 player, Extra Small (Core / Weapons / Shields)  Tier I
   1 player, Small (Core / Weapons / Shields)  Tier II
   1-2 players, Small (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier III
   1 player, Medium (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier IV
   1-2 players, Medium (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier V
   1 player, Large (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier VI
   1-2 players, Large (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier VII
   1-4 players, Large (Core / Weapons / Shields) Tier VIII

Players accepting the PvP session are required to deposit some amount of quanta, to deter them from not showing up to battle.
Players have 10-15 minutes to reach and activate Beacon or they forfeit their deposit to the other player, as long as the other player portaled to the Arena.
Beacon transports them/their ship to the same Arena as another player who queued up for the same mission type. After being transported, players are refunded their deposit.
Players start some distance from each other outside radar range, ~3 SUs for example
If either Player who accepted the PvP session force respawn, their ship stays until the battle is over.

The Arena is a 4 SU diameter bubble that ships can't travel out of. (like the safe zone bubble, but the bubble acts like a ship you don't own, repulsing you away) This will prevent ships from trying to run away the whole battle if they start losing. (also prevents other ships from entering, although very unlikely)

No time limit on battles, but session ends after one of 3 conditions are met (with their respective reward conditions):

No shots fired within 10-15 min (no award issued)
   After either ship's combat timer runs out (the ship having taken the least amount of non shield damage receives award)
   After a ship is cored. (the winning ship receives award)

Both ships are portaled to their Beacon, damage to ships remain, same as in PvE

Award is some amount of quanta, proportional to the session hardness. Awarded to the winning Player who accepted the Session.
Winning Player(s) stats are recorded and tracked on a scoreboard that tracks points and resets weekly and a legacy scoreboard that records stats (i.e. kills by core size, fastest kill, highest damage done, etc.) 

Points are awarded by kills and time to kill. No limit to sessions, but scoreboard only takes the top 3 sessions per Tier (I-VII) with the higher tiers being weighted more. Not including Tier VIII which would be less accessible to the masses.

Top 5 Player(s) players on the leaderboard that also obtain a certain threshold of points receive one plasma of their choice each week.

Great Idea, Ive wanted an arena type combat format since they added PVP into the game.

But lets be absolutely clear on this fact, no one actually loses their ship ?, Its an ideal environment to practice in without the anxiety of losing a ship.

5 hours ago, cerveau said:

no one actually loses their ship ?

For that to work there would need to be a list of available Aphelia ships instead of player owned.  Otherwise you are asking for a major overhaul of combat systems.

5 hours ago, Wyndle said:

For that to work there would need to be a list of available Aphelia ships instead of player owned.  Otherwise you are asking for a major overhaul of combat systems.

aah shame, i was thinking along the lines, -- in the pve mission when you lose, your ship isnt cored and is returned to you, damaged but with the core intact.

If they can do that with the PVE mission inflicted damage, i assumed that they could do exactly the same with player inflicted damage.

That tells me the aliens we are fighting are not real ships, (they dont move like real ships) but then whats causing the damage on the player ships?