Boost the Economy - Basic market merchandise

SiLeNCeD

Hello Noveans!

Since DU has officially released, I noticed things are picking up pretty slowly.

Some of those who are all about the "grind" are able to really push and get things going. But even then, they are usually trying to get ahead of the game in order to enjoy more of it.

Others going at a fair or slow pace are a bit stuck in the trenches for a much longer period of time, which means it takes time to even get to the point of actually building some of your best work (for those of you who are builders or deep-space explorers).

I would love to see a base-level of merchandise provided from the markets. Nothing fancy... you can save the "extra shiny" stuff for those who create and sell it for a profit. But, if I'm thinking of this correctly, if each market allowed some specific rules around what they sell outside of normal players, DU should grow at a more rapid rate and allow players to enjoy the bigger picture of the game.

Some thoughts:

* Each market gets a "delivery" once or twice a day of base components (iron, silicon, etc) and low value hardware (basic small engines, containers... the little stuff). The quantity of the delivery and cost of those items would be based on player supply and demand.

* For a "Market Merchant" who provides this, supplies are limited to each player per day (ex: A player can only buy 5K to 10K iron; A player can only purchase up to 10 small engines).

Why do this?

* Decreases the time people can start building.

* Decreases the time people can start moving around the planet.

* Decreases the time people can start getting off planet.

* Increases players enjoyment of the building process:
** They can start more quickly with a little less "farming" of resources.

** They can put lower tier items together much more quickly (it can be painful to not only create the systems that can generate the parts, but also find the proper resources to even create all of the parts).

When I go to the markets now, I can't even hardly find any items I need that I can't make and Helios is not one for having much in regards to resources. This has already pushed me back from reaching a stable point in space exploration. I've finally gotten to Alioth, but then find I pretty much have to start over and repeat the slowest cycle of getting back to a stable point (hence I haven't even gotten out of the safe zone at this point or even been on an asteroid).

The gist of this is to simply kick-start new players and allow other players to create the basics without such hardship and time exhaustion.

Anyone agree or am I picking at bones here? I don't want to see DU die off because the players could never reach the bigger picture (which in my mind is a fair amount of player made cities all around the system).

Play on and explore it all!

SiLeNCeD

"When I go to the markets now, I can't even hardly find any items I need that I can't make"

Make sure you're searching across all markets. afaik, Alioth Market 6 has almost everything now, and you can use the shuttle/teleporters to get there and back pretty quickly from haven.

Thanks Neirin... I'll double check in case I missed something. In beta I would just look for items and buy them from the perspective markets (all were listed). Maybe they changed that... I don't think my process on buying things has changed much but I'll take another good look. Much appreciated!

It may have changed at some point from searching all markets by default to only searching your closest market.

I don't know when, I took a long break in beta and it seemed different when I came back at launch, but nothing concrete I can refer to.

I think Haven has some very basic stuff available from NPC orders, maybe Alioth too.

I don't think we need NPC seeded stuff frequently in all markets though. What I do think is that NQ should nix the market storage fee and just charge a sales tax and maybe a listing fee. The point of listing stuff in less popular markets should be that you can get higher margins on those items at the cost of waiting longer to sell them, but if your higher margins are getting eaten by storage fees there's no point in selling your crap in places that aren't Alioth M6.

Also another random idea: give different planets/areas of space/whatever bonuses to certain types of production. You can still build stuff 10km away from M6, but now people can go somewhere else to build things to compete with you, which means that stuff is getting hauled. Albion Online does this and people move stuff around to different cities to get the refining bonuses all the time.

Coming out of beta I think is when the market window defaulted to only showing the closest market. M6 has most things; the more far flung markets are pretty sparse and good luck finding what you need on Madis or  Thades though. Despite the whole schematic thing and the ore throttling and all the complaining about people not being able to make everything anymore, lots of people have managed to build large private factories. Ask in general and there’s a good chance you will find someone who is making or will make any specialty part you need. 

Thank you Hecticus. That's helpful (apologies if I sound like I'm complaining... I just don't have a fair amount of time to play so I don't end up getting much done each time I'm on). I'll try to get some extra advice on that.

3 hours ago, Hecticus said:

Coming out of beta I think is when the market window defaulted to only showing the closest market. M6 has most things; the more far flung markets are pretty sparse and good luck finding what you need on Madis or  Thades though. Despite the whole schematic thing and the ore throttling and all the complaining about people not being able to make everything anymore, lots of people have managed to build large private factories. Ask in general and there’s a good chance you will find someone who is making or will make any specialty part you need. 

Thank you Talocan. I can see where you're getting at with that. I also like your idea. It would be interesting if you could purchase from a different planet and choose to optionally pay for a delivery fee (if you don't want to pick it up) and have the markets send haulers around for pickups. Would add a little more interaction in space. You could probably add some mission ideas to that too (ex: "Protect the hauler as it's going to Thades").

16 hours ago, Talocan said:

Also another random idea: give different planets/areas of space/whatever bonuses to certain types of production. You can still build stuff 10km away from M6, but now people can go somewhere else to build things to compete with you, which means that stuff is getting hauled. Albion Online does this and people move stuff around to different cities to get the refining bonuses all the time.