Positive Weekly Suggestions #1

Carnegie

First of all a big thank you for lowering tile taxes. The game is now playable again and I hope to see more old timers like me coming back.

So, onward:

1.  New player industrial experience:

- for industry, remove the need to go on a scavenger hunt for schematics for lowest level everything

(when learning the game, who wants to be frustrated by not being able to make screws and pipes?)

- Keep schematics for Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, and Exotic (provide unmovable default schematics for all basic level items that comes with each industrial machinery)

2.  Mining now is more practical and I like it, but I do miss the teamwork that goes along with mega deposits. I haven't checked out asteroid mining yet, but if mega deposits don't exist there, consider having some to excite the guild into grabbing a big chunk before rival guilds show up. (PvP space only)

3.  Long term PvP reasons to fight:

A. Comradery  

B.  Adrenaline 

C.  Power
     D.  Pride

F. Access to content that is not available to lesser warriors

For example, have a wandering curated moon that is a small paradise

- very visually appealing (Sanctuary used to be very nice until the sky turned a smog orange, then I never went back) 

- have some wandering animals

- full PvP on the surface and surface-to-air defenses can be build on tiles

-  while standing on the surface, each player gets a 200 talent points per minute instead of the normal 90  (goes back down to 90 if logged out)

-  there can be only a limited number of people on the planet before the training benefit drops

(say up to 300 people  = 200 point/min,     301- 500 people = 150 points/min,  and 501 - 1000 people = 120 point/min)

- the idea of the population limit is to encourage a "king of the hill" type fight - people who gain access will need to defend their gains from challengers. 

- unique minerals to be mined that act a super fuel or shield boosters, or accelerated mining tool boost

This paradise moon should slowly meander through space to prevent a giant flotilla of space stations from sprouting up around it.

- there can also be a dark secret (like it really isn't a moon but an ancient alien ship)

- if this is a successful idea, there could be multiple moons with different benefits (instead of a training boost, then a daily login stipend boost)

Edited by Carnegie

When did you start playing DU?  Did you join the forums under a different avatar?

i 100% agree with removing schematics for T1 stuff. 

they are a pain for noobs and make things in-fun. 

meandering moon? Not too sure this engine supports moving planet sized objects or even moon sized. 

On 2/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Deleted said:

When did you start playing DU?  Did you join the forums under a different avatar? 

Before beta.  Sometimes people go away for a while and come back. Some people just can't stay away forever and are jonesing for a fix of the unleashed creativity in this realm even if there are toxic plants here.

Edited by Carnegie

18 hours ago, Endstar said:

A PvP hold objective needs to be carefully considered from a snowballing effect.

That's a really good point. I started thinking about that after I posted.  Agreed that if a powerful entity held on to it too long it would get too strong and get out of reach of all the other groups, causing the game to darken into dystopia.  We would have to wait for a new star to arise and save civilization from collapse.

Some structural force needs to be in place to prevent that:

In the real worlds these are the kinds of things that weaken the leader:
1. Civil war

2. Corruption

3. Loss of interest in leadership

4.  The others band together to take down the tyrant

In this case, there might be a few options:

A. The longer you stay, the heavier you get, eventually you can't lift off the surface anymore and have to resurrect on Sanctuary for a slow recovery.

B. You can only visit for one stint per time period due to risk of radiation poisoning, and if you leave you can't come back for 10 days.

C. There are multiple moons and an org could only participate on one of them as a selection from leadership.

Edited by Carnegie

1.  New player industrial experience:

- for industry, remove the need to go on a scavenger hunt for schematics for lowest level everything

(when learning the game, who wants to be frustrated by not being able to make screws and pipes?)

- Keep schematics for Uncommon, Advanced, Rare, and Exotic (provide unmovable default schematics for all basic level items that comes with each industrial machinery)

I personally think they add nothing but tedium to the building process (and i played life is feudal for hours lol). And because of them my group does not even want to play anymore.
But having schematics for higher tier does make sense. But yeah having to have to mess with schematics to make a pipe is ridiculous to me, especially if you are trying to build your first craft.

A game about space and the universe should be more focused on that with the manufacturing process as a 2nd. Don't get me wrong, i do enjoy building and working hard on my ship and am proud when i accomplish my goal. But do not make it tedious and a extra job, most of us have them already.  Schematics for higher tier items would be a excellent compromise to me and giving newbies a chance to build and have fun.

Just my opinion :)