What it means to me when NQ reconfirms NPCS wont be in the game.

joaocordeiro

20 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

I know what you mean. But DU is kind of different because of the level of pain required to own anything... 

Look at PUBG, 50 players start, 4 win. If we were to blindly follow my logic, we would have 46 sad players and 4 happy. 

But that does not happen because there is no pain in playing the game. 

Weapons are free and you get them in 30 secs. 

So wining feels like wining the lottery with no cost at all. 

Ppl losing still feel good remembering their kills and joking about their noob partners. 

Look at dayz. 

Dayz is one of the worse in this aspect. 

Players play for hours and lose their loot, some times not even knowing what happened(headshots dont give any sound or clue, just black screen) 

Most fps players cant handle this. 

Yet the game still manages to keep its balance, because if pve.

Players spawn with nothing but 1 fruit and no weapon, in a world full of zombies. 

By the time most players get killed by others, they already managed to find food, survive several zombie attacks and get a weapon.

Maybe they already killed a cow with a perfect headshot. 

They already feel like a winner. 

But DU is different... 

Here you sufferd to mine, to transport, to craft, to build, to voxel... By the time you have a ship with any decent capability l you dont feel like a winner, you feel scarred and nervous. And hope you can do 2 or 3 runs before "they" get you. 

But it doesn't have to be like that does it?  The fact that you had to work for a ship just adds weight to the PvP experience but it doesn't have to be like you said.

People will come up with cheap PvP ships that people can build after an hour of mining.  People will then take these out and go have some PvP fun, fighting other people in similar setups and trying to avoid the bigger ships.  Sometimes they will get yanked but mostly it can be fun for everyone.

I'm not saying that works now, the game doesn't have the right balance to allow fun PvP to happen right  now because cheap setups are not viable.  But the fact that it could work tells me that PvP is  not inherently net-negative.

Also, with the right balance, new player orgs will emerge to help aspiring PvP players.  I used to run one like this in EvE - new players were given free ships and advice in how to use them and were then encouraged to go off into a dangerous part of space and pick fights.  They got killed a lot.  They got a new one and did it again.  Everyone had fun and a lot of them ended up getting kills or just getting 'the shakes' eventually.  It definitely was not net-negative.

1 hour ago, CoyoteNZ said:

This is true when both players are into PvP, but if you follow a lot of the PvP requests; remove all safe zones, get rid of warp, only mine valuable stuff in PvP zones; they are not ideas to encourage people to PvP, they are all ideas to force people into it. This isn’t increasing the total fun value of PvP, it’s decreasing it. Ideas how to make PvP more fun so more people partake is what is required.

Sure, having full-pvp would destroy a game like DU.  What happens is PvP becomes net-negative when the PvP players can't get any fights.  Then they see all these targets in the safe zone and think "if those players weren't safe then I will have more targets" so they ask for changes to the game which forces people to accept PvP risk when doing other things.  While PvP risk is great and can make a game better, forcing a lot of people into it who don't want to just makes them do something else rather than PvP and if you make it so they *cannot* avoid PvP while still playing a fun game a lot just quit (see 'the blackout' in eve online for an example).

But that doesn't mean PvP is a net negative.  It just means it can be a net negative if implemented badly or forced on people inappropriately.