Remapping Keys *Required*

Daemien

Hey I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll put it here.

You can't currently remap the mouse buttons and quite a few keys and this is a necessity. I've been playing with my current setup for close to 10 years and I'm not about to change it now.
I'm glad I installed and checked it out before purchasing..

Any idea how far along the roadmap this is?

Thanks so much,

D.

This must actually be fairly easy to do on the dev end, but obviously is low priority or they would have done it.

Good news: the human brain is very flexible. You can learn the DU setup in a few minutes . Even my aging brain can do it. Even when they accidentally swapped roll and yaw it wasn't a big deal to adapt. No need to be a snowflake lol.

Welcome to the world of Daphne.. It's a  mysterious place few have dared to venture.

Seriously though, The game allows for remapping of many keys but not all. Without knowing what it is exactly you are looking to achieve/remap to it's not really possible to give a proper response. I'm also not sure what you mean by you "installed and checked it out before purchasing" as you can't do the first and you do not purchase anything, you pay a subscription to get access to the servers..

What would you want to remap the mouse buttons to? I'd think the basic mapping is pretty basic in a general sense and if there's additional buttons you can map those just fine. 

Thanks, Blaze!

I see your point there.. lmao

Remapping keys is one of the simplest requirements on PC as far as I'm concerned... muscle memory is key for most of these games!!

Just looking to remap the mouse to movement and fire like all my other games. There were a couple of other keys I couldn't do anything with - can't think of what they were off the top of my head, however... I use a similar setup as WASD but my hands are moved one row to the right, so it's more ESFD with C being crouch (E is jump..) & my right mouse button being to move forward.
I installed the game and then hopped into options without logging in. I was able to do that without purchasing, thankfully...

It's no big deal as long as they do it at some point, just wanted to make sure it was on their roadmap. Was just hoping to check it out in its current state as it looks like a fun game! :)

Cheers, man!!

If you start a topic in the discussion forum, expect people to discuss things. 

Also, don’t worry about muscle memory, this game would work perfectly fine with a ping of 1000ms, you could look up the keybind of any key before pressing it and do fine.

6 hours ago, Daemien said:

Just looking to remap the mouse to movement and fire like all my other games. There were a couple of other keys I couldn't do anything with - can't think of what they were off the top of my head, however... I use a similar setup as WASD but my hands are moved one row to the right, so it's more ESFD with C being crouch (E is jump..) & my right mouse button being to move forward.

You can remap WASD to ESDF pretty easily in settings, you will then also need to remap the original functions for the keys obviously. The biggest issues I see with the current remapping is that when you assign a new key to a function it:

• does not tell you that key is currently/way previously bound to function soandso
  • does not clear that previous binding when you set it to another function 
  • Uses an extremely cryptic way of describing keybinds in the settings file making it tough to do it manually/out of game.

These oversights you wil see a lot in the game, it's in true NQ form to not consider such basic part s of an implementation and mostly do it  half way, then consider it done, tick the box and move on. You can log a ticket for it (I did in this case) which yields a message 8-10 weeks later it wil be passed on and you never hear about it again. The list of technical debt NQ has built up is long and distinguished. And all of that plus a page full of new features really should be addressed within the next 10 months before "release".

The problem is that he game is actually good at it's core idea and has massive potential to become great but NQ really shows al the signs of being in well over their heads, is understaffed and I expect underfunded to do the work needed, has no experience doing what they are trying to achieve on a management level and is terrible at basic communication.

12 hours ago, blazemonger said:

You can remap WASD to ESDF pretty easily in settings, you will then also need to remap the original functions for the keys obviously. The biggest issues I see with the current remapping is that when you assign a new key to a function it:

Ya thank you. I think the mouse buttons were the biggest issue (I despise having to move forward with a keypress)... I'll take another look when I'm able to see if I can dig into it further.

12 hours ago, blazemonger said:

These oversights you wil see a lot in the game, it's in true NQ form to not consider such basic part s of an implementation and mostly do it  half way, then consider it done, tick the box and move on. You can log a ticket for it (I did in this case) which yields a message 8-10 weeks later it wil be passed on and you never hear about it again. The list of technical debt NQ has built up is long and distinguished. And all of that plus a page full of new features really should be addressed within the next 10 months before "release".

Ya I'm kind of seeing that here. I expected a developer to answer my question and let me know, not have a bunch of fan boys/girls jump in and proselytize about what they feel people should be doing. To be expected nowadays, unfortunately.. ;)

I appreciate the feedback and your candor. Makes me wonder if I should perhaps wait regardless -- just to see if the game is even being developed a year from now. It's not like there's a shortage of games out there -- and I'm quite enjoying VR lately lol

Cheers!

D.