Large Ship Blueprint Woes

Mordgier

35 minutes ago, Zamiel7 said:

I am also interested in a potential solution for this. We're in the process of building our own large ship, and I was thinking this might be an issue.

Only thing I can tell you now is to make several BPs in stages - but that doesn't really solve it just make you be able to at least place the voxels and then fill in the elements by hand.

This is obviously not a full solution because getting the elements in place in such a way that they all look good is a hassle.

It's even worse for industry as you basically have a ton of elements rather than voxels.

So trying to move an L factory from BP is basically non viable currently.

It also occurs to me that a potential solution to this that NQ could implement is the ability to link to more than one container and treat those multiple containers as all "active" for the purposes of building things; that way, you could link to two or more maxed-out container hubs. They could introduce a new skill that affects this ability and gives a person the ability to increase that maximum number of links. I'm sure there would also be potential ways to exploit this, and it might not be easy to implement (I know precious little about game coding/design), but that would definitely solve this particular problem.

I think linking hubs to hubs to hubs etc will be hilariously OP or being able to link to multiple hubs - the two ways I see to make this work currently is to allow to deploy a BP partially and then re-deploy the missing components to it.

Or you link to a container, and the BP claims those components for deployment, link to another, and tag more componnets until your BP is "completed" and can be deployed at which point it yeets the components out of all the chests you previously linked to as long as those components are still 'claimed'

Either way, I am not offering to say "this is how it should work" because I do not have any idea of how complicated what I'm suggesting is - but NQ does need to be aware that this is going to start to become a major issue as people start to have larger constructs.

2 hours ago, Mordgier said:

Is there currently anyway to deal with a BP that requires more volume than you can shove into a 10L container cargohub?

A workaround is to place partial elements like 2 engines instead of 8 in hopes that you can mirror them afterwards.

I never understood why you can't link hubs to hubs.
Are they afraid of a reclusive loop?
Just make a max depth like 10 and prevent loops. it's not that hard to code.

4 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

A workaround is to place partial elements like 2 engines instead of 8 in hopes that you can mirror them afterwards.

I never understood why you can't link hubs to hubs.
Are they afraid of a reclusive loop?
Just make a max depth like 10 and prevent loops. it's not that hard to code.

I assume it was largely an anti-hoarding measure - obviously you can still deploy an L full of nothing but crates and hubs to hoard stuff - but the fact that it isn't all one giant essentially bottomless box makes for a lot of space mom duties.