Launcher Keeps Resetting After Download

Bowman

So now I'm having this problem after fixing an account problem.

1.  I go to my account and hit download button.

2.  I save a file that sets up the Launcher App.

3.  I launch the Launcher App and it begins downloading.
4.  When it is finished downloading, it verifies the files - everything looks good.

5.  Then the Launcher simply disappears.  (Crashes??)
6.  I start the Launcher again and it begins downloading all over again (note this download takes at least an hour if not more).

Note:  I then went to check the files on my disk for DU, and found that the Launcher creates a Temp directory where it then loads a
ZIP file of the game.  But when the launcher 'disappears' at the end of the download ... the Temp directory and zip file are deleted,
and so the whole thing starts all over again.

Anybody got a clue on this?

30 minutes ago, Velase85 said:

could be a weird cache issue. have you tried to save it to a different directory?or restart between failed downloads?

Yeah I tried that - but no luck.

What I've  now done is completely cleared out everything I could using the Uninstall .exe that they have (which worked).  I double
checked to make sure the directories were removed - at least the ones I can see.

I restarted the download/install process.  One thing that is different is it is now downloading much faster.  Before I was getting a super slow rate
at 700-800K b/s but now I'm getting 2.2 mb/s.  So that is a hopeful sign.  even at 2.2 mb/s it's a long download process.  I'm used to
getting dowload speeds of 7-8 mb/s from Steam where I usually purchase my computer games.

I do use a VPN service (AVG) so I'm wondering if that may have effected something or not?

Anyway, will report back once this new download is complete.

Sigh.  Even though it downloaded faster - same damn problem.  The Launcher verifies the files then just disappears.  And if I launch
again it just starts the download process all over again.

There is not any kind of error message or crash report etc.  It just does nothing.  This really sucks.  :(

57 minutes ago, Velase85 said:

That is an odd issue. Can you post your computer specs? or a DXDIAG report?

Yeah I agree it's odd.  I have a high-end rig.  It has all the needed specs and more.  So it's not the rig.

It may be my Security software, I use AVG and it can be finicky at times.  So what I'm going to do is turn on the flags
to allow the Launcher and DU folders to operate without AVG shielding it (for the time being).  See if it resolves the problem.

It's either that, or my subscription may be borked because I used a Recruiter Activation code - that gave me an account but
doesn't give me time?  But if that's the case, there should be some kind of warning/error in the launcher itself.

With AVG I'm able to flag both the Launcher app and the folders (I see two folders for DU, the folder in Program Data, and the

DU cache Folder in Documents).

31 minutes ago, Haunty said:

Maybe even completely disable AVG temporarily just to rule it out

Yeah I did that a few hours ago with an older attempt and it didn't seem to work.   But really, it's 2020.  I have no problems with any other computer
game when it comes to AVG.  So why Dual Universe?

I am downloading again (for the 10th time).  With the new AVG flags ... but I suspect that it still will not work.  I really think it has
something to do with the My Products database entry.  Apparently it's borked for other players as well.

18 minutes ago, Velase85 said:

if it was a gifted beta key, i could see it not getting processed right with the extra volume. I agree that while something like avg could cause issues, I don't think it would. 

The activation key came from a legitimate recruiter.  But yes, I'm suspecting all the problems center around that.  But it's really poor development that there isn't any
kind of meaningful error message telling you what the problem is.

I'm thinking of spending another $20 bucks and getting a 3 month pass - until they work out the recruiter activation stuff.  But like, do I want to take the chance of spending
another $20 ??

UPDATE

Alright,  with a new download I got further in than I've gotten before,  I saw the launcher actually begin extraction.  It successfully
"extracted"  the files, then went to verify the extracted file.  About halfway through it quit.

So, I then checked a file in the Dual Universe directory - a text file that is called "out-admin" that gives you a dump of
launcher events.  And this is where you get an error message - that the files I downloaded didn't pass a sumcheck and were
corrupt.  And as soon as the launcher sees that, it deletes everything and starts all over again!  But it doesn't give the
user a single error message!  Just a text message dump to the out-admin file.

Which means even the smallest incorrect file forces you to download the 6 gig zip file all over again.  That's too bad,

you would think that they could just replace the corrupted file itself - but no you have to re-download the entire game.

Now I'm not sure yet if it's my system that is the problem, an Internet connection, or a Server problem.  But in any case
that's the update. 

• 2 months later...