Clone Idea

Mazillus

So I was thinking about how EVE handles the cloning mechanic where you can spawn into a clone across the other side of the system. I think that is a system that could work well with DU.

The number of clones you could have would be limited to around 2 or 3 because for obvious reasons it would be broken to have unlimited clones.

On the creation of a clone that clone will have no skill points at all. Once you transfer into that clone it becomes the active clone and starts to collect skill points like normal which can be used to skill up that clone. Essentially allowing you to have two or three clones will different specializations in different places across the map. This would mean that no matter what when you log into the game you can always have a clone near to the action, however, you would, of course, have to first take your clone to that location.

On the death of a clone, you go back to the res node and would probably lose some skill points* (the only way I know to stop people from just force respawning*).

Transferring from clone to clone would just be as simple as activating an element like a pod which would then store your clone. If that element is destroyed your clone is respawned the next time you try to transfer into it.

This gets around things like boring A to B interplanetary trips where 99% of the time you would just do nothing.

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

...why not use the 3 chars per account for that? really the same thing... ?

Rather than log out and log back into different chars. When you log in, you log into your active clone.

Adds an additial function to bases, territories and L ships to house clones.

It would also do away with the need for a fast travel mechanic as people would be able to have a clone where they need to be. For example, having a clone at their territory ready to defend perhaps their main and another clone on a mining expedition on another planet.

From a PVP standpoint, you would want to defend your clone room wether it's on a ship or a base.

2 hours ago, Mazillus said:

Rather than log out and log back into different chars. When you log in, you log into your active clone.

well you need to load in everything nonetheless - so if there was just a quick way from the menu to switch clones it doesn't matter

as for gameplay reasons and all other mentioned ideas: agreed. Wouldn't use it tho because that's why I have alts and I don't split training time between chars (less specialization in the same amount of time), but I can see what you mean now

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Wouldn't use it tho because that's why I have alts and I don't split training time between chars (less specialization in the same amount of time), but I can see what you mean now

I agree. I will probably use a second account as well but not everyone will be able/willing to invest in a second account.