Warping

Orius

2 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

It depends on how they plan to make max speed limit. It could be tied to square root of (thrusts divided by mass), so kind of pseudo-space-drag system. Then reaching top speed will depend on how much you want to spend on propulsion and fuel (sacrificing cargo capacity and range).

Thus dedicated pirate ship would be super-fast, quite armed, but not really armoured. And mass cargo transport would be slow and bulky. And courier ship for most valuable cargo fast and armoured, but without any weapons.

I though about inverting cost based on distance, but it would make whole universe feel small. I'd rather see players do several jumps to go across galaxy. Maybe something like this:

1. IMO distance should't affect building price. Regarding ship size - what fits can fly. You pay for perimeter length (each module increasing it by 5m, modlue price is constant). So the bigger the more expensive, but also more economical.

2. There should be some "most economical distance" (as seen in the graph). To avoid both short range jumps and travelling whole galaxy in one jump. That together with inability to make gates too close to planets keep piracy viable. Thus they wouldn't need to be so prohibitively expensive.

And again it's cost per module, thus you get best results by sending huge, cigar-like ships that fit just right into the gate.

PS. I've been using lone tree as my avatar for years, and that's just one nice version of Yggdrasil I found.

Jump price.jpg

Oh wow, really interesting again.

I disagree that Warpgate size should be governed by anything so superstitious as economics! Quantum Theory should govern that Warp Gates are a function of INFORMATION CHANGE over DISTANCE of some form or other as the theoretical basis for manipulating SpaceTime at the quantum level. Thus the further the distance the greater information manipulation required thus the greater the exertion or cost to build a Warp Gate capable at these levels. Idk that's my theory-crafting basis. Remember you're effectively manipulating the Super Position of sub-atomic particles all the way across the SpaceTime Distance involved or so the theory goes!

As to larger ring structures, I like that addition.

Idk about the graph, all what is dictated is effectively the distance of nodes or solar systems from each other. Perhaps your graphs is assumed to convey that idea already? But a Warp Gate is useful from Solar System to anothe irrespective! As above I don't see Warp Gates as Intra-Solar-system devices. That should be a faster but still time delayed system imo eg hyper jump or whatnot.

Very cool, thank you for the info on your avatar, I see there must be a connection with your uname too? Incidentally from wiki: Yggdrasil :-

The conception of the tree rising through a number of worlds is found in northern Eurasia and forms part of the shamanic lore shared by many peoples of this region. This seems to be a very ancient conception, perhaps based on the Pole Star, the centre of the heavens, and the image of the central tree in Scandinavia may have been influenced by it.... Among Siberian shamans, a central tree may be used as a ladder to ascend the heavens

Actually the concept of a "World Tree" is found far more widely in tribal/shamanic systems from the Norse in the North to the Amazonian tribes at the Equator. It's even more ancient than the speculation above. Personally I believe humans should replant more forests as the major response to Climate Change: Compare maps from centuries ago to the present of Forest Biome coverage of Planet Earth. Of course the cyclic nature of the Earth's orbit around the Sun is also a critical factor too but at longer time intervals. As to the conception of a World Tree, it's a major part of our human ancestral psyche and the huma n race would be helping itself by replanting more forests not only the planet. Coincidentally I'm enjoying reading atm Ursula Le Guin's "The Word For World Is Forest". Beautifully written.

If I remember right in one of the ask the Dev type talks they stated you would go from solar system to the next closes solar system for gate to gate transport and would not be able to jump the galaxy with one gate jump but more like connect the dots from solar system to solar system ? I will try to find it and add it to this post !