Give Resources Stats

roscoediko

I'm not 100% sure as i'm pretty much brand new here, but if resources for crafting weapons/armor/shipwright could all have different stats (strengths and weaknesses) based on what planet and geographical locations they are in. Star Wars Galaxies did this, and it really created some amazing trade agreements between people.  Just a thought! Looking forward to the game!

This is interesting, 
I'm assuming the items that you combined, depending on the quality of the Ore and materials ended up having specific stats that reflected where and what wuality they were made at.

This could work to push people to find high quality deposits, etc. But i'm not sure how this game would handle it. Constructs that are extremely large would just have too many variable object qualities...

Anyway,
something to think over. 
Welcome to the forums also! 

I'm not 100% sure as i'm pretty much brand new here, but if resources for crafting weapons/armor/shipwright could all have different stats (strengths and weaknesses) based on what planet and geographical locations they are in. Star Wars Galaxies did this, and it really created some amazing trade agreements between people.  Just a thought! Looking forward to the game!

That's the idea. Each voxel operating on an "HP" level each. When you use ship to ship weaponry, you damage those voxels and if you breach through, the people in the ship mush rush to repair the breach.

JC Baillie spoke of kevlar and kevlar is a synthetic material, so it's safe to assume, you can build alloys, likes steel or my personal hope for a ship, rhenium diboride, one of the toughest alloys ever.

So, a planet might indeed have different resources. A planet might have a lot of iron, and iron is always good and welcome. But, the real sweet part, are asteroids. Asteroids can have things like iridium or, again, rhenium, a metal that is ultra rare on earth but maybe not in asteroids. So, you gotta think of the possibilities of different STARS with different qualities of materials on their worlds, not the planets themselves.

A neutron star may have more radioactive materials in its vicinity, for many a reason, while a red star might have more gas giants and sand worlds with more flexible minerals, like carbon.

Hope I helped :P

I'd have thought something like this would have more of an impact with Weapons and Armour.

Combining different elements/resources to create lighter more agile suits with the trade of for strength and vise-versa.

With the deposits being sparse and hard to find it would cost a hell of a lot to build an entire ships hull out of rare ores/elements.

I'd have thought something like this would have more of an impact with Weapons and Armour.

Combining different elements/resources to create lighter more agile suits with the trade of for strength and vise-versa.

With the deposits being sparse and hard to find it would cost a hell of a lot to build an entire ships hull out of rare ores/elements.

Sure, it wouldn't require new item mesh and all the LOD textures for a game like DUAL, as the iddferent elements would add simply a different tint of metal on the armor/weapon itself and let's face it, paint is the name of the game. I want pink paintjobs.

So yeah, a rich and powerful faction will have the toughest powered armors for its elite troops and the lwoer ranks or the newbies of the org, will have weaker weaponry. It's a good idea to be honest and it's not violent on the server data-wise.

Yeah that would be good, little changes in the colour/tint or making it shine a little more gives more variety in game. For example just combining a little copper with iron could give it a brownish tint, not necessarily give it any improvements, but give different appearances for different people/groups.

The actually increase in stats (if any) could be minimal to not make super weapons, but could just give someone the edge over their opponents. Gives a little bonus to the people who have worked hard finding rare resources through the galaxy :)

Yeah that would be good, little changes in the colour/tint or making it shine a little more gives more variety in game. For example just combining a little copper with iron could give it a brownish tint, not necessarily give it any improvements, but give different appearances for different people/groups.

The actually increase in stats (if any) could be minimal to not make super weapons, but could just give someone the edge over their opponents. Gives a little bonus to the people who have worked hard finding rare resources through the galaxy :)

The thing is, they can simply utilise some .tga magic for the tint of the cubemap on each model and keep the main negative composition of textures below the cubemap, to keep the loading of textures minimal.

Like, most metals have a grey hue about them and they gleam a bit, so, depending on the metal, they can create a .tga layer that emerges to give the armor a different flavor to it.

Iron armors wil lbe more dull to the eye, but titanium will look more rigid and bright.

The same way they could emulate material quality with the same cubemap idea on a single piece of armor / gun piece, by adding rugged cubemaps for heavily used gear, like, an old sword being rusy and rough on its looks, while a newer one is more shiny and has less artifacts on its shape.

I'd like to refere to a thread i created some time ago: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/286-crafting-ressource-refining/ which would basically include the request in this thread, maybe we can force the devs to do it ;D

I think he wanted to know just of element stats as an example, I just derailed the thread slightly by referring to the Kevlar example JC Baillie gave :P

But yeah, refining elements, possibly enriching or depleting radioactive ones to make stronger ammo, armors and weaponry, along with voxels that can't be mined in the world :P