Player should be able to walk on the surface opposite to acceleration

mmyesrice

I think that this would be very useful and could inspire some epic designs including ships with gravity wheels like from the martian or using continuous acceleration ships, e.g. a ship that accelerates for half of the trip and decelerates for the other half to simulate gravity.

The problem is that the only way this would work is if players being pushed onto a surface due to acceleration could stand on them. To accomplish this the code could run through these steps:

Check whether the player is near a ship, as well as if the ship is moving

If so, check if they are inside the ship

If they are inside the ship:

-if the ship they are inside is accelerating, then align the character to the acceleration force

otherwise:

-if the player is touching the front of the ship (the one in the direction it is accelerating) align them to the acceleration so they can stand (this would handle them being on platforms without a roof)

So basically the server (or even the client could handle some of this) would check if the ship is moving relative to them, and if so then the player's feet would align to the direction of the force so that their feet were pointing down. Then they would be able to walk. This would definitely be a very cool feature to see in the game.

I like magnet boots but it doesn't allow you to jump. This would provide a much easier way to walk around, in trade for a more complicated ship system. I just think that it would be cool to see gravity wheel ships flying around because they look cool. :P

I think that this would be very useful and could inspire some epic designs including ships with gravity wheels like from the martian or using continuous acceleration ships, e.g. a ship that accelerates for half of the trip and decelerates for the other half to simulate gravity.

The problem is that the only way this would work is if players being pushed onto a surface due to acceleration could stand on them. To accomplish this the code could run through these steps:

Check whether the player is near a ship, as well as if the ship is moving

If so, check if they are inside the ship

If they are inside the ship:

-if the ship they are inside is accelerating, then align the character to the acceleration force

otherwise:

-if the player is touching the front of the ship (the one in the direction it is accelerating) align them to the acceleration so they can stand (this would handle them being on platforms without a roof)

So basically the server (or even the client could handle some of this) would check if the ship is moving relative to them, and if so then the player's feet would align to the direction of the force so that their feet were pointing down. Then they would be able to walk. This would definitely be a very cool feature to see in the game.

Would like this idea - but at a later stage of the game

I like magnet boots but it doesn't allow you to jump. This would provide a much easier way to walk around, in trade for a more complicated ship system. I just think that it would be cool to see gravity wheel ships flying around because they look cool. :P

It's sci-fi. You want to jump - just switch them off for some time. Doesn't matter much to a player.

But I agree - rotating habitation modules on a ship would look way better

Well the reason jumping is hard is the opposite of what you were saying. Magnets that stick you to the ground might not be strong enough to pull you back when you jump. Plus some surfaces are not made of magnetically attractable metal, which includes aluminum and copper which will probably be used a lot (if it exists in the game, that is!), as well as any non-metal.

Well the reason jumping is hard is the opposite of what you were saying. Magnets that stick you to the ground might not be strong enough to pull you back when you jump. Plus some surfaces are not made of magnetically attractable metal, which includes aluminum and copper which will probably be used a lot (if it exists in the game, that is!), as well as any non-metal.

There is an element for ships which tells the automatic LUA script where the front is. Use that to get down direction too and you don't need to worry about other non-magnetic elements